Patchmanagement

hanakuinhanakuin Member Posts: 144
What is everyone using for patch management? Shavlik, Patchlink, SUS, WSUS, Ghosting? I'm currently using a combination of Shavlik and WSUS in a pure XP/2003 environment whith great sucess. I have to admit that Shavlik is extremely slow scanning desktops over a WAN link. I like to use WSUS to do the majority of the patching and Shavlik for third party stuff like Java and I also use it for the great reporting features.

Comments

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    We were going to use BigFix in our company, since it supports both Windows and Linux, but the licensing costs were absolutely insane. I'll be going to RSA this year to look for a new patch management solution that won't cost an arm and a leg.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    WSUS seems to fill all of our needs at the moment.
  • borumasborumas Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know we use Patchlink for our patching but I don't personally know much about it.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A combination of WSUS (gets all the Windows and Office updates) and either scripting or Ghost. Ghost (for those who may not know) can do a variety of tasks besides imaging. It's a little like SMS lite. It can do backups, user moves, file copies, execute commands remotely, inventory (software and hardware to some extent) etc.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Currently WSUS, but will probably move toward SMS or whatever they call the 2007 version
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    We use Marimba for our patch management.

Famos
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    WSUS, but moving to SMS... icon_wink.gif
  • SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    We're running WSUS at my job and it's been chugging along fine for the last year or so, works like a charm. At my new job (I start in 2 wks) they're running GFI but I'm being brought on board and one of the new projects is moving to WSUS as GFI just isn't filling all of their needs.
  • mrjawbonesmrjawbones Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    We use Altiris for patch management and for deployment. The deployment part of it is great, but we've had a lot of problems with the patch management solution. I think we may start looking at SMS.
    WIP: CEH
    Next: CCNA

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish.
  • malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We use Patchlinks for patch management, with ZENWorks 7 for the reporting on "out of spec" machines

Malc