just a little question ...?

luke05luke05 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
right now i'm learning a+ certification and i wanna get a strong fundamentals in this filed
actually helpdesk is not my goal ,my really objective is information security but as i read ,it'snecessary for anyone who want
to enter in IT field to start with a+ , because that it's strange thing when you're a programmmer or developer even an ethical hacker but you don't know how computer works and how to repaire it when some problems occur ,so firstly you've to learn a+ cetification .
but when i started i found out that a+ is not enough to develope your self for example:
- when i learned about Ram and its types especially about dynamic ram ,they said in the book (dynamic refer to how bits are stored in a capacitor),in fact this is not enough to understand how bits really are stored ,and so that i search for what's a capacitor and how it works,
and definitely i found myself in other field that is electronics.
so what are your tips about this? i continue a+ then learn some electronics basics ,or cuz my passion is not about reapairing PCs just i complate a+, i move to another cert...?!

Comments

• TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When they say learn how it works, they mean the hardware components of a computer and not how those components work in general for other things. You don't need to know how a capasitor or a transistor or a diode works to learn how to troubleshoot a bad hard drive or a bad video card or bad memory etc etc.
  • luke05luke05 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    as i learned there is Advanced Computer Maintenance for example when a power supply doesn't work ,a+ technician will change it cuz power supply is considered replaceable unit but a professional technician is who can repair power supply and to do that ,you have to know how capacitors work and transistors.
  • john_mirandajohn_miranda Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Have you attended school majoring in the IT or Computer Science field?

I know degrees relating to computers or IT will touch upon circuits and registers. In my case I had a few classes dedicated just for circuits and logic gates, then had a class for solving registers and cpu scheduling, direct-mapping, assembly code, etc. Very hard classes as they went in depth.

Point is, I don't feel like I needed to learn any of that. Will it help me some day? I don't know yet. I guess it's nice to know how a CPU scheduler sends instructions to an array of RAM but when a user calls me saying they can't connect to the network or exchange is not working.....I don't think I can apply any of that. I think you should be fine skipping over that stuff, unless you wanted to be a Computer Engineer.
  • luke05luke05 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    no just i teach myself(Self-education).
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    luke05 wrote: »
    as i learned there is Advanced Computer Maintenance for example when a power supply doesn't work ,a+ technician will change it cuz power supply is considered replaceable unit but a professional technician is who can repair power supply and to do that ,you have to know how capacitors work and transistors.

As a computer techician I don't think you will ever need to get inside the PSU to replace parts. Same applies to a motherboard, if capasitors in a motherboard blow up, no one will ask you to solder in new capasitors. Instead the motherboard will be replaced all together.