Does CHFI worth or am I better going for a GIAC's cert?

yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've been finding forensics-related certifications, and it seems all comes to either CHFI or multiple GIAC certifications.

I have always heard about CHFI, but I just went to the EC-Council section of the forum and it doesn't seem to be so popular. So my question is, does it really worth? Or is it better to go for GIAC?

And the second question, which one of GIAC? I thought GCIH was the one to go for, but checking GIAC's site I see that it doesn't belong to forensics, so the choices are either GCFA or GCFE, certifications which I have never heard about.

Comments

• docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I took the CHFI course from Global Knowledge back in 2007. I also took SANS FOR408 and FOR508 this year. The former vs. the latter are miles apart in terms of practical training and application.

That said, I don't know what it boils down to from a resume perspective. I think this question has been addressed in some shape or form in the past so I'd search through the Security Certifications sub-forum here.

If I was personally interviewing candidates and it came down to two where one had the CHFI and the other had s GCFE or GCFA, I'd be much more considerate of the second.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have been looking into this recently too. SANS has a higher reputation then EC-Council in the security community, but the value is in the training, so self study is not something I would consider. The CHFI may be obtainable by self study so it could be considerably cheaper then either option from SANS. If money wasn't an issue and I could spend a little more, I would go with SANS.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    that was a point, I meant assuming self-study.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I just want to clarify, based on what i've read, and I could be wrong, CHFI has almost nothing to do with forensics. I'd like to her more about its content though.
  • NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Go with SANS / GIAC.
  • matt18ematt18e Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I do not have the CHFI or GCFA/GCFE. I do have CEH, GNFA, and GCIH so I can't make a direct comparison between the certs/training that you are interested in, but I can make a general comparison of SANS versus EC Council. If you are looking for practical training that is current, then I would definitely consider the SANS over the EC Council. That being said, I did learn a lot from CEH, it was just not as focused and in depth as the SANS training. Whichever way you go, you will learn something, but if you have the money to throw down on SANS, that is the way to go...
  • Grafixx01Grafixx01 Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would like to go to a SANs course, but they are very expensive. Even if you self-study, since it's open book / open notes, it is still RIDICULOUSLY expensive to sit for the exam ($1,100.00 USD), and the cert has to get renewed every 3years because they aren't ANSI certified so they don't do the whole 'continuing education' thing. If you're looking for like a USG job, stick with what ever is mainstream on the current 8570.1m, but look out for the new one, which I'm told will incorporate more of the hands-on certs rather than solely jus the theory certs.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Grafixx01 wrote: »
    Even if you self-study, since it's open book / open notes, it is still RIDICULOUSLY expensive to sit for the exam ($1,100.00 USD), because they aren't ANSI certified so they don't do the whole 'continuing education' thing. If you're looking for like a USG job, stick with what ever is mainstream on the current 8570.1m, but look out for the new one, which I'm told will incorporate more of the hands-on certs rather than solely jus the theory certs.

If you are going to go on an anti-SANS rant at least get your facts straight.
    ...because they aren't ANSI certified...

According to who? http://www.giac.org/about/ansi
    ... they don't do the whole 'continuing education' thing.

They do have a CPE program listed here: How to Renew Your GIAC Security Certification
    ...and the cert has to get renewed every 3years ...

Wrong, 4 years
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We as an IT community need to devalue EC Council so they go away. SANS CERTS are well worth the time and money
    Free Reading : History Books