About 20% in RHCSA Linux Academy

ITrascalITrascal Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
Getting all excited about taking the RHCSA. Most of it so far seems just like the regular linux plus content. Except towards the end with the Selinux stuff and a few other things. I think i'mma finish the LA, read the RHCSA book by Asghar Ghori and Sander van Vugt videos and lab of course along the way. icon_study.gif

Comments

• vanillagorilla3vanillagorilla3 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Same here. I'm working the Sander Van Vugt book and Linux Academy as well. How long till you think you'll be ready to take the exam? With family and work, I'm hoping to have it by summer.
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    I agree that LA itself won't be enough to pass the exam. As far as chasing deadlines, it is very important to let what you learned sink in and lab a lot. To go at the prep material few times before even taking the practice exams of Sander's and Asghar's guides (I hope Asghar has at least a practice exam at the end of his book) and at Cert Depot.
    I chased a deadline this past summer and did not pass the exam (150/300).
  • ITrascalITrascal Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'll give it a little while and take my time. I was reading somewhere that's Sander van sugt had a lot of errors in it that's why I shyed away from it. At 400 bucks if I'm not mistake a shot I wanna pass on the first take
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm also reading Sander Van Vugt RHEL7 book, and I find the errata annoying enough already when he changed the hostname for the FreeIPA server. However, I do find his book way more resourceful than Jang's. He covers important Linux admin topics that's not part of the RHCSA/RHCE objectives such as 'screen' command and FreeIPA.
    about 34 percent into it now just went over "create and configure file systems". It's alot of stuff to remember and demonstrate. I wonder if half this stuff will be needed in the real world? I actually went ahead a purchased the other day the RHCSA by Asgar Ghori. I'm just a couple pages into that. @vanillagorilla dont know how long it'll take alot of stuff to get down to make it almost second nature. Being able to use the RED HAT distro thru linux academy is a big help tho
    Oh lol, the real world... we are aiming at passing the exam, right? It'd be pretty embarassing not to be able to configure filesystems at the exam, though. Out of the individual-user realm, it may actually be useful. If I am not mistaken, that lesson involves heavy usage of fdisk/gdisk, which are interactive utilities. And not that many options are used in the exercises.
    So you got Gori's guide. What are your impressions of that book?
    havent gotten into the book enuff to give an honest assessment yet but will give my thoughts on it later. I'm 50 percent done now so far with the RH part of LA. I can tell you one thing this exam gonna be tough for me. There's just so much stuff. Thoughts wanna jump ship and just go for Linux +.(Heard that's tuff now too) But on the other side i feel since i've invested money in it already to just go for it.
    Just finished Linux Academy RHCSA section. Now off to reading the book and Sander's vid's
    I thought about going for Linux+ first as well, but having to remember all the different switches for each command doesn't make sense to me especially with the man pages or Google. I thought the RHCSA is much more practical and also holds more weight.

It definitely is a lot to know, but you can do a lot of things with the GUI to be faster and you have the man pages. I feel like I can do most of the exam tasks now, but I know it would take me longer than 2 hours.
    If one thinks in terms of memorizing recipes as a way to pass the exam, then yes, the amount of recipes is overwhelming. And my impression is that Linux Academy's course on RHCSA is heavy just on that: recipes. Plenty of how-to's. Thinking in references is covered less. And I think that would definitely get you over the passing score line. You may not know the exact recipe from the top of your head, but if you remember a reference to a solution of that task that is presented, you'll arrive at the solution. This also addresses the reliance on GUI tools and man pages: you could be almost certain that GUI won't be available at the exam, and if you only rely on man pages you'll loose plenty of precious time researching and not executing.
    @varelg, I believe the GUI is always available. I've even seen tips that say to use the GUI as much as you can to save time on some tasks.
  • gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @varelg, I believe the GUI is always available. I've even seen tips that say to use the GUI as much as you can to save time on some tasks.
    While the GUI is most likely to be available, you might find that some particular tools are not and you would need to install them and that takes time.
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
    gkca wrote: »
    While the GUI is most likely to be available, you might find that some particular tools are not and you would need to install them and that takes time.

ahhh good point. I'm not saying I'm only going to rely on the GUI but it may make some tasks faster. All my studying has been on the CLI.