How long to study for Project+?

ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
I know that asking how long to study for a subject/exam is a question the depends on many other factors. Having said that, I feel that many here that have taken Project+ is for the same reason I am, they dont know beans about the subject, but had to take for WGU or another school. So if you are like me, dont know beans and had to take it, about how long did it take you to study and pass?
2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!

Comments

• RocketBetaRocketBeta Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I recently got the Project+ cert back in May. Prior to that, I didn't really have a strong PM background, never really spearheaded any major projects, but participated in several as a team member, but not necessarily a project manager. I took a PM course as part of a college elective (which was very helpful) then took the Project+ exam within 30 days of completing the course.

Honestly, I'd say you could probably get the cert in 1 month's time, 2 months tops. I used CompTIA's Project+ study guide which is a quick read at only 300 pages, and it comes with sample tests which are really helpful.

Project+ is based on the PMBOK 4th edition (it's currently on ver 5), and the cert itself never expires. I think it's a really great entry-level PM cert. Good luck!
  • Adam DetroitAdam Detroit Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just passed the Project+ exam today with an 825. There is so much terminology and plan processes to remember (staffing, communication, transition etc.) it seems overwhelming. I spent about 7 weeks studying for the exam. I used the Sybex book as well as uCertify for practice tests etc. I spent 5 bucks on an eBook called "CompTIA Project+ Exam Prep" which was a nice way to brush up a few hours before I took the exam (only good as a prep once you have a pretty good idea of the Project+ concepts). Good luck.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I spent about a month reading notes and text provided by WGU to prepare and making sure I knew the terms and vocabulary. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    PMBOK 4th Edition! Good info to know!

I'm taking this in less than a month. I've been preparing for PMP along with material for PMI-ACP and PMI-RMP for a while but the deal for this was too good to pass up.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • CurchelCurchel Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i took it last week. If you hurry up the studying you can take it a home using proctorU as your proctor instead of going into a testing center- Comptia is running a special. It only cost me $99 instead of the usual 200+:)

As far as your question, i had to study about a month.
  • thegreatbelowthegreatbelow Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Project + was by far the easiest CompTIA test that I have taken. I only used http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Project-Study-Authorized-Courseware/dp/0470585927/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421537768&sr=8-1&keywords=project%2B+study+guide+exam
    as my study resource.

I was able to read it over a weekend then took the test the following day. There were a few questions I was unsure of but I just tried to use common sense/knowledge with what answers were provided and ended up passing with a decent score.

I also recommend taking a few practice tests like the free one at proprofs as the content is similar. If you are able to pass the practice tests with no problem you should be ready for the test.

Good Luck
  • aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Project + was by far the easiest CompTIA test that I have taken. I only used CompTIA Project+ Study Guide Authorized Courseware: Exam PK0-003: Kim Heldman, William Heldman: 9780470585924: Amazon.com: Books
    as my study resource.

I was able to read it over a weekend then took the test the following day. There were a few questions I was unsure of but I just tried to use common sense/knowledge with what answers were provided and ended up passing with a decent score.

I also recommend taking a few practice tests like the free one at proprofs as the content is similar. If you are able to pass the practice tests with no problem you should be ready for the test.

Good Luck

My experience was similar to this. Easiest CompTIA test that I've taken. Used the same book, studied for a week and then took the test. I found that a lot of it was common sense and half the terminology is self-explanatory.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Sword&TrowelSword&Trowel Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just took the exam for a WGU class. They use Ucertify for the course material. I think the class provides valuable training. My time to finish the course and take the exam was very limited due to work issues. So I burned through it in 3 days, took a day off and then spent 2 hours day of exam to go through the pretest a couple of times. The last run through the pretest was a strong indicator of performance on the exam. Got 94% on pretest. Can be done quickly if you go hard at it.