week away from GSEC, Need help with building an index

sec_jestersec_jester Member Posts: 12 ■■□□□□□□□□
Title says it all.

I am taking my GSEC next friday, I have re-done my notes, taken a practice test, and am reviewing whatever I can think of.

Rather than just randomly diving through my notes & books (like I did during my practice test), I want to create an index. The issue is I have no clue where to start.

I have read some reviews on how to do an index, but I am unsure of what to actually index. Do I index everything on every page or just things that are in bold or under an image, etc.

Any help would be great.

Thx

-J

Comments

• 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I typically highlight keywords the first time I read through the books. Then go through page by page and put those highlighted words & page numbers into an Excel sheet. That sheet is broken down by book. So, worksheet 1 will be book 1, worksheet 2 will be book 2, etc. As long as the books are divided up by content that's enough. so, for example, "Steganography" would be in Column 1 of Worksheet 1 while Column 2 would be 187 (reflecting the page it's on). I'd steer you towards focusing on keywords like Steganography or AES, not just "encryption"
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I index whatever I think may come in the test and I may not be able to immediately remember.
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you guys think it's possible to pass the GSEC without an "index"? and CyberguyPR, how did the ComptTIA thing in Chicago go?
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I don't know... it's a LOT of material. I know some people can do it. I can't. I have a post summarizing the CompTIA experience coming up later tonight.
  • alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am sure it is possible to pass the GSEC without an index. However, do you want to just pass or do you want to try for the 90%+ group. I would also feel pretty silly if I had to retake an open book test ;) not to mention it would dent the pocket book a little.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It's possible, but depends on your experience level. As most SANS 5/6-day courses run close to 1000 pages, if you can take a test based on those 1000 pages and get a 70-80% without much help from the books then you've either got an amazing memory or you didn't need to take the class in the first place. GSEC is a little more basic, so I assume it'd be easier for someone with a lot of infosec experience, but, still, IMO it ain't worth the risk.
  • sec_jestersec_jester Member Posts: 12 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I should add that I passed the GISP with no index, and barely looked at my books. Although in that case I took the GISP after my CISSP so it was a "walk in the park".
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    sec_jester wrote: »
    Rather than just randomly diving through my notes & books (like I did during my practice test)

How you do on your practice exam? If you passed with a decent margin, then you can probably get away without one. The exam is $650 to retake, it's not a cheap exam. It's an expensive certification, why take the risks you don't have to? If you looking for a challenge, why not get stinking drunk the night before the exam while your at it. :)

danny069 wrote: »
    Do you guys think it's possible to pass the GSEC without an "index"?

Sure it is, but why not use a resource if it's available to you. If you don't need to refer to it great, but you'll be happier if you have it and don't need it.
    sec_jester wrote: »
    I am taking my GSEC next friday, I have re-done my notes, taken a practice test, and am reviewing whatever I can think of.

I don't think a week is enough time to get through all the SAN books and build a good index. It's something you should have been working on while studying. But I still say even a bad index is better than none, try your best to finish one before the exam.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • josh.armentrout1josh.armentrout1 Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jester, here is a link to my experience with the GSEC and indexing. Hope it helps. My Experience with the GIAC GSEC Exam
  • sec_jestersec_jester Member Posts: 12 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Jester, here is a link to my experience with the GSEC and indexing. Hope it helps. My Experience with the GIAC GSEC Exam

Thanks! I've read a few reviews on indexes and for this test at least I am doing it with the books / subjects I am least proficient in