Minnesota meetup

techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
Considering there's many big meetups in the cities for software, web and dev ops but none for infrastructure. I'm considering co-organizing a monthly or bi-weekly group that meets at restaurants and breweries on a weeknight. No topics or presentations to begin with, just chatting and helping each other. Anyone else in the area interested?
2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)

Comments

• gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That would be great, but I'm in Iowa. A decent drive up to the twin cities, assuming that's where you are.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There is a Powershell group that meets up here in the Twin Cities. A systems engineer at my company that goes to it was talking to me about it recently... I can find some more info about it if your interested. Or if anyone is
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm kind of interested even though I rarely use it. If it's a presentation group I'm less interested because I like to learn what I want on my own time. It doesn't leave much time to get to know others in the field which is my main focus.

There's a linux presentation group that keeps cancelling. There's only one active security group but it's always been those trying to get into the field or pc techs. I welcome them but a room full of them leads to entry-level communication A+ stuff, I've had to explain MCSA CCNA VCP to many there. I'm looking to be challenged by those more knowledgeable than me.

Yes, it would the twin cities.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I work at a twin cities MSP, and I am the highest tier support for any problem for our 50+ cisco customers, with experience across almost every vendor platform, and any part of a customer infrastructure. I work mainly with Cisco gear, but we have customers with Mitel systems that use HP switches (seems to be a trend), Merakis, Sonicwalls, Watchguards, Fortigates, Wireless bridges / point to point networks, most things VMware, every different type of server from exchange to terminal.

I literally am the last line of defense for 50+ customer networks that are all unique and equally poorly pieced together, I would enjoy to trade some war stories with some fellow twin cities tech nerds, but I would need to insist on a Friday meetup over a beer or soda. By the time I walk out the door of my work I feel like I should be smoking like Constantine fresh out of a visit to hell, so I wouldn't be interested in revisiting the horrors of my week until it's over for a couple days :)

With getting onto my CCNP study my schedule might tighten up, but PM me or see if this gains traction in this thread, and I'd be more than happy to shoot the sh*t with my fellow Twin Cities techs whether your entry level or a CCIE. Hope to see some interest here, that'd be cool to meet some fellow techs, I live in the South St Paul / Inver Grove Heights area.
    NetworkNewb: Are you talking about Twin Cities PowerShell Automation (Minneapolis, MN) - Meetup ? Tuesday's meetup doesn't sound very interesting to me but a few of the past ones look kind of useful. I might attend some.

I'll try to get something going over the next month or so. I'll talk to some successful organizers to figure out what to do and not do. I'll also need to find at least one other organizer because I'm on call at work and will likely have to miss or arrive late for some meetings. Not fun to cancel an event at the last minute although I bet the other members would do fine without an organizer. In most groups they seem to be more of a greeter than anything else.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would go..
    Look at meetup.com
    It’s pretty easy to start a meet up.
    The hard part is finding a venue and a topic.
    If you find a good venue and topic, then people will surely come.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    I went to TCPSUG zzzz. I'm not a fan of presentations. Went to one tonight, good times, about 40 there and not one infrastructure pro besides me. There's a large infra market here, bummer they're so difficult to meet. Will try another one on st pattys day.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hey guys, count me in. I had tried to find some locals years ago but pickings were slim in the area. Looks like there are more now!
    There is a Powershell group that meets up here in the Twin Cities. A systems engineer at my company that goes to it was talking to me about it recently... I can find some more info about it if your interested. Or if anyone is

Would you please? This would be great.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yep, this is one that the sys engineer at my place was talking to me about.

Twin Cities | PowerShell Community Groups

Was telling me how people bring in their own code in all the time with questions and they work on it together or give suggestions. He seemed to really like it. I can't say I have been to one yet though. Sounds decent though