Passed VCP5

BornToBeMildBornToBeMild Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
First a big thank you to Stanly C.C. Without their training I would not have been able to self fund the cert. Also thanks to the posters on this forum for their ongoing help and encouragement.

Resources

Home lab server – You can cover the vast majority of objectives with a quad core server, 32GB memory, and nested ESXi.

Mastering VMware vSphere 5.5 by Lowe & Marshall - Sybex

As others have said, great resource.

VCP5-DCV Study Guide by Brian Atkinson – Sybex

This wouldn’t have been detailed enough on its own, the practise tests and review questions were useful.

The exam Blueprint Guide and all the product documentation PDFs from VMware

There’s a lot to get through, but worth doing.

General exam thoughts – Having recently finished MCSE, I was intimidated by the thought of 135 questions in 2 hours. MS exams are around 50 questions in the same time. In reality, time wasn’t an issue, the VCP questions were much simpler, although not necessarily easier. You still need to know the objectives in a lot of detail.

Where to next? Probably TOGAF.

Comments

• alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations!
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats! Those resources are the perfect recipe for passing.

Good luck with TOGAF
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • jones551jones551 Member Posts: 154 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • dancreaneydancreaney Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi

I am enrolled on the March CC course. I have the Mastering vSphere 5.5 book, and am putting together a lab. I've invested in the CC course literature also.

Did you replicate the course labs on your home lab - was the CC course and the Mastering book enough to comfortably tackle the test?

I hope to have read the Mastering book by time the course starts, and fit in some plural-sight video's too. icon_study.gif

DC
  • BornToBeMildBornToBeMild Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Dan,

My advice would be to use the Exam Blueprint Guide from VMware as the key, and work through the objectives using whatever resources work for you. My lab was quite similar to the course one, except I created 3 nested Hosts to play with vSAN. I also used a W2012 server for combined AD, iSCSI and NFS services.

Labbing and the Mastering book worked for me, and I also used the 25 or so PDF files with the product documentation. Good luck.
  • dacetodaceto Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats. It feels great doesnt it?
  • normslandnormsland Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats. Welcome to the club ☺️
  • STANLY_CCSTANLY_CC Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    First a big thank you to Stanly C.C. Without their training I would not have been able to self fund the cert. Also thanks to the posters on this forum for their ongoing help and encouragement.

Resources

Home lab server – You can cover the vast majority of objectives with a quad core server, 32GB memory, and nested ESXi.

Mastering VMware vSphere 5.5 by Lowe & Marshall - Sybex

As others have said, great resource.

VCP5-DCV Study Guide by Brian Atkinson – Sybex

This wouldn’t have been detailed enough on its own, the practise tests and review questions were useful.

The exam Blueprint Guide and all the product documentation PDFs from VMware

There’s a lot to get through, but worth doing.

General exam thoughts – Having recently finished MCSE, I was intimidated by the thought of 135 questions in 2 hours. MS exams are around 50 questions in the same time. In reality, time wasn’t an issue, the VCP questions were much simpler, although not necessarily easier. You still need to know the objectives in a lot of detail.

Where to next? Probably TOGAF.
  • xengorethxengoreth Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! What's next?

I hope to post a similar thread in this forum soon. Did you end up reading all of the documentation cover to cover or just enough to fill in some of the finer details not covered in the books?
    2018 Goals: CCNP R/S, VCP6-NV
  • ArkrainArkrain Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dancreaney wrote: »
    Hi

I am enrolled on the March CC course. I have the Mastering vSphere 5.5 book, and am putting together a lab. I've invested in the CC course literature also.

Did you replicate the course labs on your home lab - was the CC course and the Mastering book enough to comfortably tackle the test?

I hope to have read the Mastering book by time the course starts, and fit in some plural-sight video's too. icon_study.gif

DC

Congratulations.

How long have you been studying for the exam?
    I just finished Stanly training last week and I want to schedule a date for the exam.
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Arkrain wrote: »
    Congratulations.

How long have you been studying for the exam?
    I just finished Stanly training last week and I want to schedule a date for the exam.

Do it! Schedule it out a couple weeks, review the blueprint in depth, and get that cert.

I don't know how the Stanley class is but the VMware class isn't enough to pass without experience and some additional studying. If you look at the blueprint, feel confident on each of the entries, then you're golden.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!

Tagging this thread for later viewing
  • eugenechiaeugenechia Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A little late to this party but just wanna congratulate you!
  • CChilderhoseCChilderhose Member Posts: 137
    Congrats icon_cheers.gif
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
    MCITP: EA, VA, SA
    VCAP-DCD, VCP6 -- COMING SOON
  • Brain-DBrain-D Member Posts: 134