Options

Information Security Titles

ISfromAboveISfromAbove Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, I have been a long time lurker her on TechExams. I used this site to complete my Net+, Sec+, and to help with my CISSP.

Now I am looking for some advice and guidance on an issue that has come up. I am working with a company that has a need for a Director in Information Security, however they do not want to title it Director of Information Security.

So, I am trying to determine some title names that can be given to this position that have the same level of distinguish without being named Director.

Would love to see what we can come up with on this great board.

The job description would read like a Director of Information Security.

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Senior/Lead IS Officer?
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Information Security Officer
    Chief Information Security Officer
    Chief Information Systems Security Officer
    Chief Security Officer
  • Options
    soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like the ones mentioned above but here are some additional thoughts:
    • Chief Technology Officer
    • Information Security Manager
    • Information Security Director
    • Security Program Manager
    • Information Systems Security Officer
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Is their issue the word "Director"? Do they have any problem with "manager" or "officer"?
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Is their issue the word "Director"? Do they have any problem with "manager" or "officer"?

That's what I'm wondering. Plus, once people start adding "Chief" to the front, i.e CTO, CISO, etc, they're typically higher than directors anyway. Although, it might not be a ranking thing, they might just want to signify that the person isn't actually a manager of people.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Chief Tactical Cyber Warfare Agent

Guaranteed to get you a lot of hits on a job board
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Exactly where I'm going. Although titles generally mean nothing, at this level many places do pay attention to them as they are used for compensation bands, seniority/hierarchy status, or whatever. Knowing the driver behind the limitation may eliminate many of the options thrown here.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just a stab in the dark here but my guess would be they don't want an overly inflated title.

Traditionally in the corporate environments I've been a part of the Director level positions have had multiple Manager level positions reporting into them. That person might view this new position as closer to Manager level work than Director level at their previous environment(s) and doesn't want to give the wrong impression of their responsibilities to others outside the company.

Although who knows except for the person with the issue...

Why not just ask the person directly, what is the issue with title and what would they feel more comfortable with as a title? icon_rolleyes.gif
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    So you want a guy who's really good at security and should effectively be one step down from a CISO yet you don't want to pay him the salary that comes along with a "Director." In real life that means you'll be posting for an InfoSec Manager which a Director/CISO's responsibilities. The job title will attract analysts who want to be managers while managers will ignore the job unless they're looking for the same job title at another company. Analysts won't qualify for the job b/c the responsibilities will be too much, but the managers won't make the jump because it's the same title for what they're doing now but a lot more work that should get paid a lot more money. Meanwhile people who actually could qualify as Directors won't be interested because they don't want to be an InfoSec manager and they want to be a director. And they want the money that comes with it.

The only way you're going to attract a qualified candidate is to name the job what is actually is and pay the money that comes with it. Otherwise you're going to end up disappointed one way or the other.
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IT Coordinator
    Security Coordinator
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds like someone up above is intimidated by the title.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Why not go government style

SIOC (Strategic Information & Operations Center) Senior Manager

Purple team Senior Technical Manager

Or my favorite

You are way underpaid and got suckered into taking on all this work and you are going to burn out fail and quit within a month manager
  • Options
    renacidorenacido Member Posts: 387 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In the private sector Chief ________ Officer implies you're a C-level company officer, above the level of VP or Director.
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Haha purple team gave me the biggest laugh all day. Only a matter of time before there is a purple team... Maybe that's what I'll call our interns this summer once I figure out what part they can play next to the red & blue team.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Haha purple team gave me the biggest laugh all day. Only a matter of time before there is a purple team... Maybe that's what I'll call our interns this summer once I figure out what part they can play next to the red & blue team.

My kids youth pastor calls all boy/girl pairings a Purple Alert! Reading his Purple Team Senior Technical Manager title made my mind wander down that particular path..."how does one technically manage pairings...is that the same as the matchmaker in Mulan?". I really should lay off of the caffeine!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    Sheiko37Sheiko37 Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Supreme Overlord of Security
  • Options
    ISfromAboveISfromAbove Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So the issue isnt about money or anything like that. The person is being placed in a job that they have worked for, but the Director title might not be so good for their resume if something was to happen to the company or anything like that. (nothing is planned to happen or wrong doings happening). Based on this they are trying to be fair to the individual and help with his career progression and reward him for hard work and everything. They just dont want to hurt his career in the long run.

I know this individual very well as if it was my OWN blood so i know they arent doing this to hurt him. Infact if he wants the title to be Director of Information Security then they will do that. He is nervous from a resume stand point on how that will look.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I know this individual very well as if it was my OWN blood so i know they arent doing this to hurt him. Infact if he wants the title to be Director of Information Security then they will do that. He is nervous from a resume stand point on how that will look.

Why? Has he not been in security for very long? Is he still 100% technical? What title does he want?
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Information Security Officer is one I have seen before.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Security Pimp
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Cyber Pathogen Hunter?
  • Options
    sec_jestersec_jester Member Posts: 12 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Senior Manager, Security
    Senior Manager, Information Security
    or some variation of that....
  • Options
    renacidorenacido Member Posts: 387 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So the issue isnt about money or anything like that. The person is being placed in a job that they have worked for, but the Director title might not be so good for their resume if something was to happen to the company or anything like that. (nothing is planned to happen or wrong doings happening). Based on this they are trying to be fair to the individual and help with his career progression and reward him for hard work and everything. They just dont want to hurt his career in the long run.

The only reason I could imagine a Director title would be seen in a negative light on his resume is if he wants to be in very technical roles with little/no managerial responsibility or if his last job title was CISO or VP.

Understand that "Director" implies you're responsible for managing a budget, a major function (IT Operations, Enterprise Apps, Security, etc) with several managers reporting to you, each of whom having direct reports of their own. You're a manager of people, processes, projects, spending, and strategy for a department. The title Manager implies you have direct reports and are responsible for a functional area though you may not have your own budget and you have less responsibility than a typical Director.

If your friend is in an advanced technical role, titles like Technical Director, Senior Engineer, and Architect are a better fit than Director or Manager.