Options

Passing without Real Gear? Need some advices

rembot00rembot00 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys, need some advises here.. I want to start a new journey into studying for another certificate (inclined to do a cisco exam, but feel free to suggest other network-related cert as well).. these are my current choices to take:

a) ccna security
b) ccna data center
c) CCNP R&S

I had passed ccna r&s just by using packet tracer for my labs (netacad was my primary learning source, official cert guides and cbt nuggets as my secondary). my ccna would be expiring in March 2017 and now my goal is to have a new cert, so as to renew my ccna and add some new value to myself as well..without the need of buying or renting real gear,as my current financial status is limiting me. unlucky enough,i am also into a job that 100% doesn't let me have a chance to play on the real stuff (it pays the bills,though).. from my choices above, which one is possible to pass with just gns3/packet tracer only?

Comments

• Options
    fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261
    Real gear doesn't always respond the same way as packet tracer, I use both. Some of the more interesting lessons I will run on packet tracer first, then wire it up and configure it on my real equipment. Go on ebay and get some 2811 routers and 3560 switches, I got 3 of each plus some cables for under $300.

I just did an intervlan routing lab last night, to route across vlans using only the switch with no router connected, and once I got the gateway addresses right, it worked fine.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    You could pass any of those without access to real gear. I think though, that real gear is good to have for all of these - except that real Data Center gear is pricey.

Apart from GNS3 there are also VIRL, IOU and Cisco's CSR 1000V router.

A one year VIRL license ($199) would be about the cost of 2 cheap 3560s and 2 2960s (the minimum for CCNP Switch), or just about 4 IOS 15 routers with serial WICs and cables. It would get you maybe 1 (2 if you're lucky) IOS 15.2/15.4 routers.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    You can do CCPN ROUTE with just GNS3. That will be enough to renew your CCNA. Save up some money to get actual switches when you're ready to study for CCNP SWITCH. I took the previous SWITCH exam and two 3550s were sufficient for that which you can get for $25-50.
  • Options
    rembot00rembot00 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    pevangel wrote: »
    You can do CCPN ROUTE with just GNS3. That will be enough to renew your CCNA. Save up some money to get actual switches when you're ready to study for CCNP SWITCH. I took the previous SWITCH exam and two 3550s were sufficient for that which you can get for $25-50.

thanks for the advises guys!! Initially i really wanted to try for ccna sec, but i read a lot of horror stories about how insufficient the books,videos relating to the new exams,and that some concepts wouldn't be clear if you aren't on a ccnp level.. THEN i thought of data center, but some say that you must have some way on getting a hands on with mds and nexus gears.. so i guess doing ccnp route in a couple of months first, then buying some 2nd hand switches, would be the cheapest way diving in...