Best Begineer Powershell Learning materials?

DrekkoDrekko Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys
I am wanting to learn powershell. I have no experience with it
I have just started watching CBT Nuggets Powershell v4 Foundations , and in my head I am asking, what the hell are you on about...!

Just wondering if anyone knows any other good Powershell videos for beginners?
PluralSight? ITProTV

Books?

Obviously looking for people who have actually already read or watched the above to see their opinions

preferably something with practice labs? or exercises?

Comments

• wayne_wonderwayne_wonder Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don Jones powershell in a month of lunch's is all you need its a really good book and isn't a monster 1000 page type either
  • DrekkoDrekko Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don Jones powershell in a month of lunch's is all you need its a really good book and isn't a monster 1000 page type either

https://www.cbtnuggets.com/it-training/microsoft-windows-powershell-2-3-4

Same as this?
    Does it have exercise labs etc?
  • wayne_wonderwayne_wonder Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah has excercises its a good learning book failing that use MVA academy and the microsoft on-line labs so you can get hands on
  • dancreaneydancreaney Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I learned by trying to solve small problems, or make small efficiency improvements with PowerShell scripts. For example, a script to check disk space levels on my servers and e-mail me the results each morning. I started by deconstructing scripts others had already written and re-writing and combining them. There are plenty of pre-made scripts available via a Google search. PowerShell Cookbook is a great resource for applying PS practically.
  • QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah has excercises its a good learning book failing that use MVA academy and the microsoft on-line labs so you can get hands on

I'll second the MVA suggestion. One of the best resources I've seen for folks starting at zero-low knowledge of powershell:
    https://mva.microsoft.com/en-us/training-courses/getting-started-with-powershell-3-0-jump-start-8276
  • Gpdriver17Gpdriver17 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dancreaney wrote: »
    I learned by trying to solve small problems, or make small efficiency improvements with PowerShell scripts. For example, a script to check disk space levels on my servers and e-mail me the results each morning. I started by deconstructing scripts others had already written and re-writing and combining them. There are plenty of pre-made scripts available via a Google search. PowerShell Cookbook is a great resource for applying PS practically.

I agree, this is a good way to learn. I'd learn the basics with a book or Udemy videos, but you'll really learn from messing around with scripts/modifying them to see how things work.
    Cheers heaps,
    Ill that book a go
    the one called Don Jones Powershell in a Month of Lunches

Is that the same Don Jones that did this CBT Nugget video?
    https://www.cbtnuggets.com/it-training/microsoft-windows-powershell-2-3-4
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Drekko wrote: »
    This is my recommendation. The video series does have some notes and additional material, but the real value is in following along as he codes and trying it out for yourself as you go. Don Jones covers just about everything you need to go from beginner to proficient with PowerShell, and this course even covers specialty modules and applications.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Cool
    I might start reading this book over the video from CBT nuggets from Garth Schulte
    https://www.cbtnuggets.com/it-training/powershell-4-foundations

Been looking at that video and up to the 3rd chapter, I find it hard to follow and not get distracted. I feel his just lecturing me I need to do some practical stuff to to break things up.

Hope the book breaks up theory and actual practical exercisers and labs or something