Options

Project Management

joemc3joemc3 Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello all, I was in Facilities operations I went over to IT support. After being in IT I don't feel like pushing around tickets anymore and want more of a leadership role. So, I was just hired in as a Project Manager. I have done Project Management in the past. It was not in the structure of PMBOK. What can a new Project Manager expect follow that approach? I am actively studying my you know what off to come to terms with the terms. Any advice is appreciated. Btw, to all, never give up. I have grown and expanded myself in a bit over a year. I went from a dead-end job to commanding money and responsibility. I simply applied myself every single day to my goals that I had on a chalkboard.

Comments

• Options
    User2097User2097 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I see that you say it's not in the structure of the PMBOK, but is the Project Management within the company being applies correctly? I've seen over and over again the misconception of functional managers assume they are project managers or the company hires you as a project manager and in reality; your a project expeditor (can coordinate with no power and no resources).
    Cert Goals: CISSP-ISSAP (May 2016) | CISM (2016) | GSEC (2016) | OSCP (2017)
    College: MBA Project Management (2012) | Bachelors IT Management (2010)
    Experience: Cyber Security, Information Assurance, and IT Management Officer
  • Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with the comment above, Project management is more about how the company operates, a company needs to become projectized organization and forget the traditional centralized/functional organization or at least certains parts of the company/operation.

People think they are Project manager because is the new trend, sounds cool but in the end they are coordinators, supervisors, or functinal managers/