Passed ICND2!

stunnedsoupstunnedsoup Member Posts: 120
Just passed the ICND2! I ended up with a score of 846.

I am beyond ecstatic since this was my 1st attempt and my studying has been inconsistent the last several weeks. But, the amount of time I did get to study I made sure I attacked the exam topics like a lion eating its final meal. There were a lot of nights of 2-3hrs of sleep because I'd be up studying. This feels great and I just want to post here to thank those who helped me directly and indirectly. A special thanks to those who nudged me to continue on to ICND2 (my thread here http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/116435-icnd2.html). I was about to call it quits and am so glad I stuck it out another 9 weeks!

As for the exam itself...
I played it cool in the hours leading up to the exam. Made sure to relax and have a "nothing to lose" mentality. I told myself "it is a difficult exam and don't fret, just walk into the exam room and punch the CCNA in the mouth! If I lose, it will be pretty darn close!" Well, when I hit the submit button I looked down at the floor and said in my head "if I come within a respectable distance from passing I will be happy." Boy, was I on cloud nine when I saw the "Congratulations!" on the screen. I was so pumped I left for my locker and forgot to do the survey and sign out. No worries though, I got it all done after the proctor flagged me down. They were super nice.

For the actual questions - I felt more than prepared, albeit, there were a couple that made me scratch my head. Overall, I personally felt the ICND2 was easier than the ICND1. Most likely because I understood Cisco's way of testing and I had previous knowledge of running basic commands and etc.

I can post my study materials and methods in a bit. This post is long enough haha. Time to celebrate!

Thanks again folks!
Cisco: CCENT COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR CCNA COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR || MCSE: 70-410 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-411 [ ] 74-409 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-534 [ ] || VMWare: VCP [ ]

Comments

• danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations! What's next?
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • BoxxerBoxxer Member Posts: 25 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • stunnedsoupstunnedsoup Member Posts: 120
    danny069 wrote: »
    Congratulations! What's next?

Thanks! Well, definitely a much needed break. Then I plan on venturing into getting my VCP.
    Boxxer wrote: »
    Congrats!

Thanks my friend!
    Cisco: CCENT COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR CCNA COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR || MCSE: 70-410 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-411 [ ] 74-409 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-534 [ ] || VMWare: VCP [ ]
  • NansNans Member Posts: 160
    Congrats
    2016 Certification Goals: CCNP Route /COLOR][B][/B][I][B]X[/B][/I][COLOR=#008000-->Switch/COLOR]:study:[COLOR=#ff8c00-->TShoot[], CCDP []
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks a ton, guys!
  • superbeastsuperbeast Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So what were your studying habits and/or resources used to study for the exam? And congrats!!
  • steele84steele84 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Awesome! Congrats! I would ask your work if you can have a crack at working in the network department for a while so you can solidify your skills. Its a benefit for them to use you as an asset with your current skills!
    “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
    superbeast wrote: »
    So what were your studying habits and/or resources used to study for the exam? And congrats!!

My resources:
    + Odom's 200-101 OCG
    + Pearson 200-101 ICND2 Network Simulator
    + Kevin Wallace's LiveLessons for ICND2
    + Chris Bryant's CCNA Bootcamp on Udemy
    + Boson ExSim-Max 200-101

My approach:
    1. Read Odom cover-to-cover + take notes
    2. Watch both Wallace and Bryant video series
    3. Review notes taken in step 1
    4. Take Boson Exams

Began studying almost immediately after passing the ICND1. I took a total of about 9 weeks from start to finish.

The first month (4 weeks) I did nothing but read Odom's book, carefully, while taking detailed (typed) notes. I did about 1 chapter a day. When I was done I had a good general understanding of everything. Then, I switched gears and went right to the videos. I watched Wallace's LiveLessions then watched Bryant's ICND2 videos. Bryant's videos were constantly playing through my car speakers everywhere I traveled (the "offline" feature is awesome!). The videos helped reinforce what I learned from reading the book. Finally, I took about 1.5 weeks to get through all the Boson exam material. I did all 3 exams and then retook them several times each.

From what I've noticed, most people prefer to watch the videos first then read the book. Personally, doing the opposite worked best for me. Also, labbing was done with Pearson Simulator all throughout my studying. I'd do a few labs a day and would lab whatever topic I was in the mood for. Most of my lab time was spent on Frame Relay, STP, OSPF, and EIGRP.

My reviews:
    + Odom's 200-101 OCG
    I found this to be similar to this ICND1 book - detailed and dry but very good. I like dryness, but that's me. However, this book lacked enough detail about RSTP. I had to resort to online searches to get more info. Overall, it's what I expected from Odom.

+ Pearson 200-101 ICND2 Network Simulator
    Great tool. Very easy to use. Very thorough. Lots of labs (I think 300+). Almost every lab guides you through, step-by-step, which is great.

+ Kevin Wallace's LiveLessons for ICND2
    Excellent video series. I liked how his videos were short and sweet and you don't have to rummage through a 20-30min video to listen to that one key point you were wanting to hear. His videos match up with the exam blueprint which made it incredibly easy to review a topic area. There are also quizzes and interactive activities that ensure you grasp the lessons - this was great as well. Highly recommend this if you have the money or can get a coupon/promo code. I had a 30% (or was it 40%?) promo code. So the total cost was a lot lower for me.

+ Chris Bryant's CCNA Bootcamp on Udemy
    Just like many of the other reviews state - this is the best bang for your buck series out there. The videos were excellent and can be saved for offline use. His videos are thorough and covered almost all the exam topics well. I revisited his Port-Security topics from his ICND1 section to refresh my memory. Glad I did!

+ Boson ExSim-Max 200-101
    Incredibly useful and helpful tool! I found the exams to be more difficult than the real exam - which is good. I was getting worried because I didn't pass any of the 3 exams on my first try. But as the days went on those worries subsided because this tool was explaining things extremely well and helped me learn a substantial amount in the 1.5 weeks I had with it. Yes, it's a bit pricey but worth every dime. You won't be disappointed.

Wow...sorry for the long post!
  • madcSPYnXmadcSPYnX Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • FillAwfulFillAwful Member Posts: 119 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • toasterboy1toasterboy1 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Been struggling with the ICND2. Finished the Lammle book and then tried flashcards only to find out I forgot everything from the first 2 chapters of the ICND2 section. Guess I should take some notes next time. Interesting to hear ICND2 seemed easier than ICND1.
    Thanks again everyone!
    Congrats! Been struggling with the ICND2. Finished the Lammle book and then tried flashcards only to find out I forgot everything from the first 2 chapters of the ICND2 section. Guess I should take some notes next time. Interesting to hear ICND2 seemed easier than ICND1.

Yea, ICND2 felt easier for ME. And as I mentioned above, I would attribute this to knowing/understanding how Cisco tests. Also, remembering what the show commands and their outputs represent. I also understood OSPF and EIGRP so I knew what to look for and how to study this time around. But, this doesn't mean that the material was easier. I thought the topics were harder. But knowing how to prepare and study made digesting and learning everything easier. Frame relay was kind of a bear! I studied it inside and out and knew how important reading the outputs of the commands were. The ICND1 was uncharted territory for me which is why I found it more challenging.

I will say that I've read where most of the test takers say ICND2 was more difficult than ICND1 and I can definitely understand this as well.

Best wishes mate!
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63