Options

First term at WGU! How does my schedule look?

TurtleMouseTurtleMouse Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone! I've been talking with WGU for a couple months, and after completing the requirements have finally been accepted. This post is to see if my goals are realistic, and maybe share some stories of your own.

I have spent some time lurking the individual certs/WGU classes, but it's always nice to have friendly members comment!

*Most of my experience is in computer networking. I never cared to get any certs because they'd all expire by the time my enlistment would end. Now that I'm getting closer to finishing my enlistment, I'd like to pursue some certs while earning a degree.
I also have 2 coworkers pursuing their own degrees through WGU.

Background:
- Some community college
- Military - IT based career
- 3 years of experience
- Security + cert
- Limited, but some, experience in SQL, Scripting, Linux

Weekly study schedule:
Mon-Thurs: 3-4 hours (depending on my lunch break)
Fri: 1-2 hours
Sat-Sun: 4-5 hours
Total: Minimum 20 hours

I have 4 Gen ed classes left, and the rest are the certifications need to get a degree.

Here's how I've broken down my first term:

Gen Ed:
Intro to Probability and Statistics = 1 week
Critical Thinking and Logic = 1 week
Organizational Behavior and Logic = 1 week
Business of IT - Applications = 1 week
Total: 9CUs

CompTIA Certs:
CompTIA A+ = 2 weeks
CompTIA Net+ = 2 weeks
CompTIA Project + = 2 weeks
CompTIA Linux + = 6 weeks
Total: 24CUs

Data Management:
Foundations/Applications = 6 weeks
Total: 7CUs

Total: 5.5 Months / 40CUs

Anyone think this is too much? I know I've read of people doing a TON of CUs, and know a couple people who a little more than minimum. I feel like this is a little above average.

If I finish early my next pursuit would be Web Dev. I'm not afraid of taking the CCNA R&S, since I was studying/practicing with the material long before I considered going back to school. With some rereading it should all come back to me. I, sadly, don't work much with networks anymore.

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment! If anyone is in the service and has questions about TA/Financial Aid/Whatever just ask me! I might just point you into the direction of the personnel at WGU, but it's worth a shot.

Comments

• Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    I dont necessarily think that is too much, just be sure that when you fast track like that that you actually learn and absorb the material. Since it seems like your experience is limited, I wouldn't try to take on too much. I am in WGU right now and taking my time and try to learn everything there is to know about the subject matter and certifications. Now, if you had like 10-15 years experience I would tell you to knock it out as fast as you want.

Just something to think about. Your education/degree is as only as good as what you put into it.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    TurtleMouseTurtleMouse Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    bpenn wrote: »
    I dont necessarily think that is too much, just be sure that when you fast track like that that you actually learn and absorb the material. Since it seems like your experience is limited, I wouldn't try to take on too much. I am in WGU right now and taking my time and try to learn everything there is to know about the subject matter and certifications. Now, if you had like 10-15 years experience I would tell you to knock it out as fast as you want.

Just something to think about. Your education/degree is as only as good as what you put into it.

That's a really good point. I hadn't thought about the possibility of brain dumping the information.
    I'm starting in May and studying A+ to get ahead since I don't have a lot of experience in the help desk position.
    Thanks for the feedback!