Courses and Exams help

TalunusTalunus Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,
Looking to take the courses for CompTIA A+ as well as N+. However, I see a bunch of sites offering classes for a variety of fees and then a few that are ffreee? So my question to you all is, what is the best online resource to take these classes that will not cost me an arm and a leg or are these "free ones" good enough? Also I see some providing the courses for 801-802 and some for the 900 series, what is the difference between the two and what is the industry standard for today? Also, which company/site would be the next best to take the actual certificate Exam?

Any and all answers help, thank you.

Comments

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd start with the Professor Messer videos (Professor Messer IT Certification Training Courses) and pickup a book as needed. There are a ton of good free resources out there that I wouldn't pay for a course for the A/N+.

For taking the exam, find the official testing center that is closer to your house.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I picked up ExamCram books for A+ and Network+, studied a week for each test, took all three tests within a month.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • ElGato127ElGato127 Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Two other sources worth looking at:

Cybrary - their N+ videos go into a lot more detail than Prof Messer.
    Lowell Vanderpool - great 801/802 lectures, not sure if he updated for 901/902 yet.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I recently took the Mike Meyers A+ training on Udemy, and it was pretty amazing. He didn't use slides. Instead, he had computer parts in hand and showed real life examples. He makes his courses fun and interesting. I got this and his Network+ course for $10 each when they had a sale.
  • TalunusTalunus Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tedjames wrote: »
    I recently took the Mike Meyers A+ training on Udemy, and it was pretty amazing. He didn't use slides. Instead, he had computer parts in hand and showed real life examples. He makes his courses fun and interesting. I got this and his Network+ course for $10 each when they had a sale.

Yea I just picked up his book for A+ Certification, does that pretty much cover what he has on his Udemy? Or would I be able to get more out of both maybe?
  • TalunusTalunus Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Also, the book I got of his is 5th edition, is that still pretty up to date to now?
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I didn't read his A+ guide; I just watched the video series. I do know that the test has changed recently and that he was working on updated lessons for the new version. Don't know yet if his updated video series has been released yet. I'm sure he's working on an updated book. You can check out info about the current version of the test on his site and on the CompTIA site.

http://www.totalsem.com/a-certification

Looks like they're retiring the 801 and 802 tests at the end of June. If that's the book that you bought, you still have some time to take that version of the test.