• diggitlediggitle Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    c colon I net pub dub dub dub root
    c colon i net pub dubdubdub root
  • invictus_123invictus_123 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    diggitle wrote: »
    c colon I net pub dub dub dub root

????? What are you on about
    Almost 24 hours on the dot from when I sent my report and I received the dreaded email. Certain I had failed but unsure as to whether I was ready for the news, it took me ten minutes and a cigarette break to calm my nerves. I finally got the courage to open it, as soon as I saw "We are happy to inform you...." I let out a massive YES!!!! I re-read the email three times to double check, but I have successfully passed the exam!

I have to say that was the best feeling I have had in ages, this course has taught me a hell of a lot. I will get round to doing a full writeup of the labs and exam once I've got some spare time - I have a lot of actual work to catch up on!
  • JebjebJebjeb Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice job, Congrats!
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Awesome, congrats! Starting my journey April 9th, can't wait!

Good luck youre going to love/hate it!

My best advice for you is to thoroughly document your lab time. Once you gain root on a system, revert it, and go again, redoing your notes in such a way that you can come back to it in a months time and do it from just those notes (take lots of screen shots as well). This was my biggest downfall and I wasted a lot of time re-exploiting hosts.

Good luck youre going to love/hate it!

My best advice for you is to thoroughly document your lab time. Once you gain root on a system, revert it, and go again, redoing your notes in such a way that you can come back to it in a months time and do it from just those notes (take lots of screen shots as well). This was my biggest downfall and I wasted a lot of time re-exploiting hosts.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Sheiko37Sheiko37 Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations.
  • Sch1smSch1sm Member Posts: 64 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations. Can you go into some detail about what your lab report had? How detailed was it? I wasn't planning on submitting one but your post made me reconsider.
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif
  • jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sch1sm wrote: »
    Congratulations. Can you go into some detail about what your lab report had? How detailed was it? I wasn't planning on submitting one but your post made me reconsider.

I highly recommend doing your lab report before the exam. I didn't, and so had to report on 41 hosts after a 24 hour exam where I hadn't slept.

So in my report I had to go of my pretty rubbish notes. I basically just put down how I rooted the system. So, if it was a rfi and then kernel priv esc.

Remote file inclusion and kernel exploit
    Vulnerable host: 1.1.1.1
    Vulnerability explained: the web app running on this system was vulnerable to a remote file inclusion due to poorly sanitised user input. A malicious user could use this vulnerability to execute arbitrary server side code. For example 1.1.1.1/index.php?path=1.1.1.2/shell.txt

And then do the same thing after that for the kernel exploit.

Something i did which I think I helped is in the exam report, I reported on the machine that I didn't get in to. I described what I thought was vulnerable and how someone (better than me) might use that to get it
  • JebjebJebjeb Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Interesting, sounds like you got the last 5 points due to the lab report. First real story I've heard confirming that. Should motivate more of hte slackers (like myself ) to do the report.
    Jebjeb wrote: »
    Interesting, sounds like you got the last 5 points due to the lab report. First real story I've heard confirming that. Should motivate more of hte slackers (like myself ) to do the report.

The thing is you just don't know what's going to happen in the exam. I was quite confident that I would do well, and so didn't do a lab report. How wrong I was!

I think it just can't hurt to have your lab report ready just in case. I suffered a lot trying to write one straight after the exam
  • tceutceu Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats - and thank you for your helpful explanations!
  • renacidorenacido Member Posts: 387 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • djctwodjctwo Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Been a few days since I've posted here and thought I'd give an update.

So I took the exam on sunday and it was the hardest thing I've done in a long time. The systems were much more up to date than the lab machines and there didnt seem to be available exploits for many of the services. All in all I'm unsure as to whether I've passed, if they count a low privilege shell on a 20 point system as being worth 10 points, then I achieved 65 points in total. It is then up to the offsec staff to decide whether my poorly written lab report covering the 41 rooted systems is enough to bump me up to 70 points - something tells me it wont be enough.

I learnt a lot from the exam and once I get the email telling me I've failed, I'll re-book it for a week or so's time. If anyone has general exam questions let me know.

Now that you've taken the exam and the exam machines are different/harder do you think the overall course prepared you for the exam though?
    djctwo wrote: »
    Now that you've taken the exam and the exam machines are different/harder do you think the overall course prepared you for the exam though?

Absolutely. Bear in mind I had zero pentesting experience, so I learnt an absolute ton going through the labs.

And whilst I couldn't directly apply knowledge of exploiting a certain lab host to an exam machine, it's the way you go about exploiting hosts that you learn which is important.
  • Sheiko37Sheiko37 Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm unsure as to whether I've passed, if they count a low privilege shell on a 20 point system as being worth 10 points, then I achieved 65 points in total.

It's interesting going back and reading this. I emailed them for feedback after failing the exam and they said "partial points are awarded for systems where full root access is not achieved but you can safely assume that non-root access earns less than half the points for that particular target."