Cant find item in registry for DFS

Robbo777Robbo777 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi, I've just been onto this link on Microsofts website and found that this item in the registry isn't in the same area specified on their site, or at least i cant find it? I've literally gone to the exact same directory but found nothing that resembles it or the register DNS records below it as well in the netlogon part.

Here is the link
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/259398

I understand what needs to be done, i just want to know why i cant find this item in the specified area.

Thanks

P.S, i have a couple of other questions to:

I'm wondering if i have this right regarding DFS...It is the service that enables machine to share the files across the network using a protocol such as SMB??

And with regards to creating a mapped network drive in group policy that I've just successfully done, i entered in the directory for the file \\jedi\new folder, which worked on both a client machine in the same domain (starwars.com) and a clients machine in my other trusted forest (marvel.com), i entered the same path again. I'm wondering how the client machines went about retrieving this directory or how the policy managed to access it. It might seem a silly question but i'm curious, i thought more precise directories would be needed.

Thanks again

Comments

• BornToBeMildBornToBeMild Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you look at the end of that link you'll see it applies to Windows 2000. DFS has changed since then, and is now two independent roles DFS-N and DFS-R. You can't assume that the solution in that document applies to 2012R2.

If you just want to share files to network clients you don't need to install either DFS role. You need the File Server role.

High level - To access resources across a trust a client will use DNS resolution to find the resource server. The server will then grant access or not depending on the user's permissions on the resource.
  • Robbo777Robbo777 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah, i shouldve spotted that, thanks

Regarding DFS though...It is the service that enables machine to share the files across the network using a protocol such as SMB?? Am i right in saying that?
    No, it's the File Server role that does that.
  • Robbo777Robbo777 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Okay, so what does it do then? If you disable the DFS service you'd still be able to share files
    Robbo777 wrote: »
    If you disable the DFS service you'd still be able to share files

In theory yes, although I haven't tried it. Be aware that DFS-R is used on DCs to replicate SYSVOL.