Education Program at work...

NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
So my company allows me to use $3000 towards courses. Tried asking them if a ISC2 training seminar qualified but they said it didn't. So anyone have any idea how I could make good use out of this $3000? Any online college courses you guys can think of that would give me some certifications? Putting a hold on going for my Masters degree and looking for any thing else you guys could think of. Here are the requirements:

APPROVED PROGRAM/COURSES
Tuition reimbursement is available for courses offered by fully accredited colleges, universities, trade or technical schools.
Courses must be taken for credit or continuing education units (CEU). Courses taken for audit or changed to audit will not be reimbursed.
Undergraduate, Graduate or Certificate Programs must be related to the team member’s current position or prepare the team member for more advanced positions. A degree plan or course outline must be provided.
Individual courses not taken as part of an approved degree or certification program must be related to the team member’s current position or prepare the team member for another position.

Comments

• kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What exactly are you doing for work? And what certs/degree do you currently have?

You really don't need ISC2 training. What you do need is time, testing engines, and a few books to get you through.
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    $3k is a decent amount. What are your interests? Gems are fine and dandy, but if you're already certified with them perhaps it's time to move into the minerals market? Any good training there? Maybe a Certified Mineral Appraiser? AIMA Certification Requirements for Certified Minerals Appraiser
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Many universities have offerings similar to the Stanford certificate that will satisfy your employer's requirements. Make sure you look around based on whatever your area of interest is.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    kiki162 wrote: »
    What exactly are you doing for work? And what certs/degree do you currently have?

You really don't need ISC2 training. What you do need is time, testing engines, and a few books to get you through.

I'm system security analyst. Pretty manage access to anything on our network (applications, file directory, everything), SIEM investigations for abnormalities, do audits... that is most of the days.

I was looking for ISC2 training because I would like to get CCSP and CISSP. But I figure since I get free money to do some training courses wanted to see if you guys had any ideas or suggestions of an individual course you may have seen online that sounds interesting. Its free money out there... Might as well use it something right? Just can't think of much that would fit into those requirements unless I start working on a Master's degree, been going back and forth on whether I want to start that right now though.
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Many universities have offerings similar to the Stanford certificate that will satisfy your employer's requirements. Make sure you look around based on whatever your area of interest is.

Yea, I think I just need to look more around. There are some technical colleges in my area that I need to look more into too.
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    We like free money. What's your end goal with this? Looking for a new job at some point in the near future?

Everyone is different as far as their studying, some people need the bootcamp where others can do self-study with no problem. I did trainingcamp about 2 years ago for the CISSP, and honestly looking back I don't think I really needed it. I passed a few months later after a TON of notes. The biggest thing for that exam is getting yourself used to doing 250 questions within the allotted time. Any CISSP bootcamp will force feed a LOT of information in 1 week to you, and at TC you have the option of not taking the exam at the end of the class (which I would recommend).

I wouldn't do the CCSP unless you are in a cloud heavy type role. You could opt for the SSCP as well, as SSCP Gibson book is all you need to pass that exam. Once you get through that, then go for the CISSP. You could also look at going for the GIAC GSEC exam.

BTW, I sent you a PM.
    Just really looking to increase my knowledge, just got this current role recently. Want learn as much as I can... My supervisor has been talking about our company maybe focusing more on moving things to the cloud was the only reason I threw the CCSP in there. Just so when the time comes I can give my input and know what I'm talking about there.

I'm pretty sure I'll just go straight to the CISSP later this year, I've done a few JOAT roles at small companies where I've had my hands on everything and pretty sure I cover the experience for that. And as far as SANS courses they are out of price range and company won't cover them... I've applied to work study program when they come way this summer though, so crossing my fingers on that.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Why not put that 3k towards your Masters instead of putting it on hold? The 3k would cover a 6 month term at WGU! My company is offering 5k for tutition and i am planning to use it for a Masters at WGU, not right now though as i have some other things to focus on first.
  • nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry, I see you mentioned SANS.. What about a program like CBT Nuggets or an on-demand training course, you can use the 3k for a 2 year program option and then use the remainder for your certifications.

CBT Nuggets did have a CISSP video series I used when I got mine (I'm not sure if its updated) and you can use it towards CCNA Security, Juniper Security and many other security oriented certs.
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
    I wonder if SANS Courses would be approved for that... Could say they are part of the SANS Master program. Wouldn't cover the whole amount still though

Edit: And I do get CBT Nuggets paid for already by my company, just trying to squeeze out all the free money I can :)

I might try for Masters next year... Have a one year old at home and planning on trying for another little one later this year just don't know if I want have to commit a bunch of time to a Masters degree yet.

I've actually been studying and plan on taking the CCSK tomorrow (already paid for it) to prepare myself for the CCSP... Then I think I'll just focus on the CISSP afterwards and see where I stand after I knock that one out.