Is it possible to pass 5 Comptia Classes in one semester?

I'm planning to get the Comptia Certificate award at my local Community College. Is it possible to complete all these 5 Comptia courses in one semester? I know full time student take 15 units at a time. So would this idea be doable? Can an average college student do this? What do you recommend? I would love to hear your advice. :)

CST C116 A+ Essentials Hardware

CST C117 A+ Essentials Software

CST C128 Network+ Introduction to Networking

CST C191 CompTIA Linux+

CST C230 Introduction to Security

Total Certificate Units

Comments

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There is a lot of overlap, which is good. The bad? Well, it is a lot of information. So, it really depends on how comfortable you are with the various subjects prior to taking the classes. Possible, yes. Probable, maybe.

I did the A+, Network+, and Security+ boot camps and passed within a month or so after the classes ended. I had fifteen or so years of experience dealing with the information contained within those classes, which helped me greatly. Your mileage may vary.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • faintingheartfaintingheart Member Posts: 256
    Okay sounds like alot information so I will do a split:

Summer take: A+ Hardware, A+ Software, and Network+

Fall take: Linux_+ and Security+
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you are a full time student with no job. I don't see a problem with taking all those...
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    What's your background? Do you have experience with these already? Are you 'academically inclined' (ie find study/school easy)?

At one extreme, you could pass one exam with a weekend or two's study. At the other, you might need a semester to get through the A+.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
    I am a full time student with no job for sure. My background, well I achieve an Associate in Arts and pretty much stop there for 12 years. I'm 34 Years old, I finish the AA (60 units in 2004). I recently study for the Network+ but had not taken the exam, I am thinking of finishing it through this Comptia Certificate program.
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Let me suggest something different. I think you could self study for all that and get the certs without the expense of college classes. I know CBTNuggets has videos and pluralsight likely has them as well. Those streaming subscriptions are $99/month and $30/month respectively. Also I don't know what route you're planning to take or what your goal is but I don't know how valuable Linux+ is if you're going into entry level IT. I've never seen a description asking for it but have seen A+, Net+, and Sec+.

Since I don't know your story that may not work for you or you may get free classes or something. I just know in retrospect I'm glad I developed enough discipline to self study and didn't spend more than the price of the sybex guides for my A+ and Net+. That has helped me greatly through the rest of my journey.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
    My goal is to get into Western Governor University and start on Information Technology B.S. Degree. The Counslor said I need one qualifying Certification so that is why I was thinking about doing this. I do think, it is a good idea to self study. That is a great idea.
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks Davis, What are your recommendations for easiest shortest time certification just to get accepted WGU? I'm open for suggestion from everyone. Thanks!
    You've probably read this already, but in case you haven't WGU have a list of transferable certifications but you need to scroll down near the bottom to see the ones that apply to the specific programs you might be interested in. For the BS IT, all those CompTIA certs you mention would be 'transferable'.

This is separate from their admission requirements. The counsellor should be able to be more specific about what a 'high-level' certification is. I'd suspect that CCNA or MCSA (any flavour) would fit the bill, and if you are starting from scratch, then A+ and Net+ are good options to prepare for higher level certifications in Operating Systems and Networking.
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If your primary goal is to get into WGU, then you won't need all of those. While I think it is achievable, it would still be difficult to do all of them at the same time.

I may be wrong, but if you do end up getting all of them you may be able to get some extra credits coming into WGU depending on what course path you take. I am not super familiar with WGU, since I can't attend anymore (Issues between them and NC) but I do know for my CCNA they were going to give me some credits.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I studied for and passed the first three tests in under a month (A+ and Network+) using two Examcram books , but I had over 10 years IT experience at the time. The Linux+ would be tough for me, I have a limited background in Linux. I'm planning on taking Linux+ cert in the future.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
    I appreciate all the advice guys. I hope I can get at least one certification and get in WGU. thanks!
    If I recall correctly, A+, Network+ and Security+ were worth 16 CUs at WGU. Linux+ might give you either an additional 6 or 8 CUs (covers two classes). Unless things have changed, you only need one of those certs to get accepted at WGU. Would the cost of those classes and the certification exams be less than $3k? If so, then consider taking them. If not, then I don't see the reason for taking the classes before enrollment at WGU.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

stryder144 wrote: »
    If not, then I don't see the reason for taking the classes before enrollment at WGU.

I think the reason faintingheart is considering these classes is because they don't yet have the admission requirements to get into WGU - specifically being able to demonstrate IT experience - and was advised to get some certifications to be able to enrol. Without knowing what certifications are the minimum to enter, it's hard to know whether A+/Net+/Sec+/Linux+ is overkill.

Personally, I'd lean towards what they decided in their third post, and do A+ and Net+ at community college in one semester, but then re-evaluate after that semester.
    @OctalDump...upon reviewing my response, I think I understood what faintingheart was considering but I failed to respond in a clear manner. That is what happens when you dig out of a blizzard during the day and then try to respond to a question like this at work. My apologies if I caused any confusion.

I meant that faintingheart needs to do a cost-benefit analysis. You don't want to spend more money (and time) than it is worth. If the cost of taking all of those classes and exams is under $3k, then it might be worth doing. If you want to spend the least amount of money possible, consider watching the Professor Messer videos (free) and buy a decent Network+ book, or two. If you spend $70.72 for this book set, plus the $285 (retail price, go to getcertified4less or some other discount voucher site to get the voucher for less), you will be out $355.72. You can probably knock that out in about a month, maybe less. That should gain you acceptance to WGU and cut your costs. Especially if you qualify for a Pell Grant, which could knock out most, if not all, of your annual tuition fees.

Hopefully, my response was clearer this time.

• NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    If you want it bad enough, you are willing to sacrifice sleep and then anything is possible.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    If you want it bad enough, you are willing to sacrifice sleep and then anything is possible.

Sleep is optional? I had no idea, to think of all the time I wasted in my life.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You shouldn't have to sacrifice sleep because of CompTIA certifications. Now for a CCIE or CISSP I would say yes to an extent. But CompTIA can be done in a decent amount of time. If you don't sleep, you won't be able to retain the information when you need it most. Some people may disagree with me but sleep is crucial. When I was in college, I did my CompTIA/Cisco certs and was a full time student at the same time while working and I slept a normal 8-9 hours. I do agree that sacrifice is important but never sacrifice your health and overall well being. If you aren't fully rested, you won't focus and retain the info it will be info in and info out.