LAN and WAN

supertech10supertech10 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Can you tell me what is
- LAN to LAN
- LAN to WAN
- WAN to WAN
- WAN to LAN

*If got any video, kindly provide the link.

Comments

• Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    james43026james43026 Member Posts: 303 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This question is really vague. If you could elaborate, that would go a long way to helping you out.
  • Options
    supertech10supertech10 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Actually I heard that some of companies use this LAN to LAN, LAN to WAN, WAN to WAN, WAN to LAN connections and I don't know the function of it. That's why I need some basic explanation of LAN to LAN, LAN to WAN, WAN to WAN, WAN to LAN connections. With the basic explanation, it's useful for my knowledge.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Do you know what a LAN is? How about a WAN?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    james43026james43026 Member Posts: 303 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think Priston was on the right track for you. It appears what you are referring to is more of a consumer network thing, and not a commercial / enterprise network thing.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I've not heard these terms before, and Google isn't being very helpful. But I would assume that these are all kinds of connections between networks.

Which makes me think there is a router, since routers are normally the border between networks. So, then for LAN I think of typical LAN technologies like ethernet and 802.11, so a LAN to LAN would be a router that had (for example) two ethernet connections. It might also be a connection between two VLAN, so could exist logically within a switch. I'd expect something like this within a campus network.

WAN technologies are things like WWAN technologies or EFM or fibre to the premises or DSL. So a LAN to WAN connection would be something that connects these two different kinds of networks, something as simple as a home cable modem or 4G WiFi hotspot. I'd expect something like this at the campus network edge, where you go from an on premise network to an ISP, for example.

WAN to WAN would be a connection between two of these networks. So, it might be between the cable and backhaul networks, or from a WWAN 3G link to backhaul microwave link. I think of these as primarily existing with the Service Provider cloud.

WAN to LAN is going to be the same as LAN to WAN just seen from the other side.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM