Information security analyst salary for Hospital

keeranbrikeeranbri Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

Its been years since I came back on this forum, but likely I still remember my username/password. Anyways, got a question for you all. I currently have been working at my hospital as a Help desk technician for 2 1/2 yrs but I have about 4 years, almost 5 yrs experience of help desk combined with my previous job. I love where I am working now and the benefits, but I feel its about time I move up. I had recently applied for the information security analyst position in the same company and wanted to know if anyone knows what the salary of that would be in a hospital environment. The job would be mainly provisioning new users, giving access to current users, basically lots of system admin type of work as well keeping track of intrusion, malware type stuff that enter through the company. Do you think its a good move that I am doing? Right now I make 45,000 in my current help desk role and i'm sure it will be make more then that. However, I will also be working from home all week every other week starting in May, so I may miss that as well.

Comments

• lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    What's your city/state?
    What certifications/degrees do you have?
    What qualifications do you have towards infosec?

General FYI, they will lowball you since it's an internal transition. I estimate the offer range will be 52k - 60k.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you get accepted, dont worry about the salary range right now. You will get an increase for sure but that is not the most important thing at this point. This transition will help you gain experience for other roles outside your company where you will get thw fair market value for your skills after 2-3 years.
  • renacidorenacido Member Posts: 387 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Agree with the other commenters above. Pay is based geography, company's industry sector, and your qualifications. If you get this job go play the lottery because you're a lucky sonofagun.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds like you would move up out of help desk, get a position in security, and make more money. So if those are things your looking for then yes, it would be a good move. Otherwise no, it would be a bad move.
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    To be honest, it sounds like what you're doing is pretty light on the standard infosec analyst role. Sounds to me like you're going to be an identity & access admin with a little security admin thrown in. those job reqts are a bit different (at least in my area) than what i see an infosec analyst doing and earning (sometimes) a lot of money for. FWIW, an experienced infosec analyst in my area doing "heavy" infosec stuff would go for around 100k. dock some $$ for hospital work. dock some $$ for lack of experience. dock some $$ since it's a "lighter" analyst role. maybe end up around 60k?
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can use Glassdoor and get an idea for what you might get paid if someone else has already posted their salary.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    If you get accepted, dont worry about the salary range right now. You will get an increase for sure but that is not the most important thing at this point. This transition will help you gain experience for other roles outside your company where you will get thw fair market value for your skills after 2-3 years.

I concur. Get the experience, the money will come later. If you were applying from the outside, you have a much lower chance landing the job.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    since it's a "lighter" analyst role. maybe end up around 60k?

This is the number I would guess as well ^
  • rep21rep21 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You absolutely need to take this position. I went from a Help Desk role to doing Identity and Access management. I was making maybe 38k at the time. The bump in pay was marginal and it was only originally supposed to be a short term 6 month contract. I figured I would take the opportunity to learn as much as I could and leverage that into another position. Turns out, one of the full time security analysts departed for another job and the security team liked my work so much they hired me to replace him. I didn't know anything, had no previous systems administration or networking experience, but I caught on quickly and liked to learn. Fast forward two and a half years later and I've just broken the six figures barrier. Security is an awesome field to be in right now. Anyway, good luck to you. icon_cheers.gif
    WGU - MS in Information Security and Assurance: May 2016 Start
    WGU - BSIT: Software
    AAS - Systems Admin/Networking
  • abelamoralesabelamorales Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would take a salary of $60K at a minimum. You have institutional knowledge that an experienced Analyst won't have. I would focus on learning as much as possible - you'll be able to get a new job in 2-3 years making $80-90K easy.
  • keeranbrikeeranbri Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah, that's true. Hopefully I do get an interview first. because there is another employee in my dept that has applied for it as well. Fingers crossed! I told myself though, if they offer less then 60k I probably will not accept it.
  • nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would definitely accept if its lower than 60k, getting into security with little to no experience is very difficult especially in certain areas. The experience alone will help you leverage into higher salaries. I wouldn't reject it just over 5-10k, no matter what it'll already be a raise.

Some companies only offer a certain % of your base salary as a raise as well, you may only be able to get a 10% boost or 20% boost max.
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)