Options

What does kerberos actually encrypt in AD

Robbo777Robbo777 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
With regards to kerberos, i know the whole procedure of granting tickets with the TGS and TGT's but i'm actually still left wondering...

What kerbrous actually encrypts besides using tickets for services. Does it encrypt a whole users session or DC replication?

Where do i activate the feature in group policy to use kerberos?? I'm still not sure

There are options in the accounts section of a user to use kerbrous 128bit, they're unchecked though by default. Is this for encrypting a users session

Comments

• Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    IT encrypts only the Kerberos traffics. You can use Kerberos as part of initiating IPSec tunnels. Kerberos handles the "who are you, what can you do" and other systems then take care of the rest. Kerberos basically determines whether the two systems will trust each other to talk, but not whether when they talk that it is encrypted or how.

What data is encrypted, and how, usually depends largely on the application itself. Many applications will use TLS/SSL to create that secure session tunnel. A lot more traffic will just be unencrypted. If you want all net traffic encrypted, then IPSec is the way to go.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    iBrokeIT wrote: »

You have to be a registered member to watch those unfortunately! Assuming there are fees attached to?
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    "Lucky for you membership is FREE at Cybrary IT...forever."
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Robbo777 wrote: »
    You have to be a registered member to watch those unfortunately! Assuming there are fees attached to?

Assumption, the mother of all...
  • Options
    Haha, true! But its usually the case with sites like that. Thats where the instinctive dreaded assumption came in.