Options

Geek Squad

Justin400Justin400 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
A friend and I recently applied for a job at Geek Squad, and I am wanting to know what kind of questions I can expect at the interview. I applied for the consultation agent which handles check in/check out. I hold the CompTIA IT Fundamentals certification and have 11 months previous work experience at the local movie theater with 2 months as a supervisor.

Comments

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You will find that most of the questions are customer service oriented. Such as, "describe a time when you had an irate customer. How did you turn the experience around?" You can also go to glassdoor.com and look for sample questions.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    bloodshotbettybloodshotbetty Member Posts: 215
    I have not interviewed with Geek Squad, but I worked at BBY Corporate in their IT center supporting the retail stores. From my interactions with Geek Squad, you do not need to have a wealth of knowledge (I do not mean that in a condescending way- I am a newb and don't know much, either!) It sounds very customer service based. I imagine for any troubleshooting you will do you will have a knowledge base. Focus on your soft skills and come prepared with examples from your past experiences.

A+ certified
    Bachelors of Science in Social Work, Augsburg College
    Working on: Network+
  • Options
    GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
    I was a vendor for Best Buy, a subcontractor for Intel. Basically I come in every weekend and stand at one of the new interactive displays. Example, the Intel Real Sense Computer that was newly arrived. I was assigned to two stores to go stand for a few hours every weekend. I did not stand at the display like I was in formation in the Army. But, I walked around shot the breeze, talked, and a little networking. First and foremost, from my experience and from talking to a multitude of "blue shirts" and geek squad employees at different stores it's very competitive. Why is it competitive? Well, because they get a significant discount off of the merchandise inside of the store. I was hearing stories of the Black Friday deals and how they got X amount all of sale items.

I have had more than one person tell me the benefits outweighed the salary. Granted the salary isn't much to toot a horn at. From being in various stores I would suggest going to Best Buy and grabbing one of those price sheets (not sure if it's online). That will give you a ball park of what services they do, and you can research what's needed to complete those tasks. Example, removal of a virus on a laptop. I stood there with a white polo (only person with a white polo in the entire store) and people asked me questions like i (directly) worked for Best Buy. Being who I am I answered and steered them in the right direction. I said that to say this, just because you're in one department doesn't mean you won't get asked questions pertaining to another department.

I will reiterate, getting with Best But I feel is competitive. The locations I worked at had individuals with degrees (certs) or/and college students finishing degrees. So, they had some sort of competitive bullet or paragraph to put on the resume. All that said, you're in Tennessee. I had the time so I googled locations, it's not a great deal of Best Buys in that area. So I would make sure I brought my A game. Usually when it's only one store within a 25 mile radius they are more picky about who they hire and let inside of the circle
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I interviewed there maybe 8-9 years ago so I'm not sure how different it may be now. This was when I first got my A+. I don't remember many technical questions pertaining to computer repair. I do remember being asked general customer services questions like how I would react to certain situations with customers. They also wanted to make sure I was comfortable with helping out in other departments like trying to sell TV's or sweeping floors.