Options

con't ping server by vpn

molaeiabbasmolaeiabbas Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,Everybody
First ao all, i'm sorry for weak English
I set up a server with Windows Server 2012 at our office and installed a DC. and then installed a RRAS on it. with a remote computer from home and via a vpn i could to connect to server but i cannot ping server and did not see any shared folder. whats the problem?
Regards.

Comments

• Options
    Jay_CertifiedJay_Certified Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I could be off here, but you shouldn't get any replies from the server when pinging from an external IP address. I'm sure one of the network guru's here will help solve your issue, but that is just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The firewall may be blocking and do you have any folder shared and did you use the correct log in to access those resources?
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There could be a multitude of issues going on. We don't really know enough about the network and how it is setup to make a complete decision. Since you can connect to the server that means that traffic from the VPN to the server is allowed.

Do you have a firewall in place? Is it a zone based firewall? If so, from VPN -> LAN is there a rule to allow ICMP traffic? This could explain the pings. Is Netbios being block?

To answer Jays question: Since he is connected via a VPN, he would be pinging the servers local address - not its public.