Taking CCENT on Tuesday

duplexed_duplexed_ Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I'm going to be taking my CCENT on Tuesday and I was just wondering if anyone had any general pointers or specific things to be aware of particularly if you've taken the test recently.

I'm feeling pretty confident of where I'm at but I know the test isn't going to be easy.

I think my main weakness is exact memory of commands, for example if I was given a multiple choice and asked which one is correct, I'd probably get it right - but if I had to write it from memory without a choice it could be wrong. I use the '?' tool a lot icon_lol.gif. I also recognise I'm not great on things like remembering the exact range of private address space, useable ACL number ranges and things like that.

For the final few days of prep my plan is to continue what I'm doing now really. I'm using the network simulator after work in the evenings and at the weekends I've been doing the DITKA and part review questions. Saturday I will have finished the IPV6 refresher and Sunday I will take a mock exam. Monday I have off work and I'll focus on any areas that didn't go too well in the mock test and any other areas I still feel weak on.

I'm also curious to know how the configuration questions play out? and what the typical 'synthesis' questions to expect are?

Thanks

Comments

• Phillies8607Phillies8607 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hope you did well! So... how did you make out?
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • duplexed_duplexed_ Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    duplexed_ wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm going to be taking my CCENT on Tuesday and I was just wondering if anyone had any general pointers or specific things to be aware of particularly if you've taken the test recently.

I'm feeling pretty confident of where I'm at but I know the test isn't going to be easy.

I think my main weakness is exact memory of commands, for example if I was given a multiple choice and asked which one is correct, I'd probably get it right - but if I had to write it from memory without a choice it could be wrong. I use the '?' tool a lot icon_lol.gif. I also recognise I'm not great on things like remembering the exact range of private address space, useable ACL number ranges and things like that.

For the final few days of prep my plan is to continue what I'm doing now really. I'm using the network simulator after work in the evenings and at the weekends I've been doing the DITKA and part review questions. Saturday I will have finished the IPV6 refresher and Sunday I will take a mock exam. Monday I have off work and I'll focus on any areas that didn't go too well in the mock test and any other areas I still feel weak on.

I'm also curious to know how the configuration questions play out? and what the typical 'synthesis' questions to expect are?

Thanks

Sorry for the poor choice of words previously....it's actually Tuesday coming (22nd) that I'm booked in for :D so any advice is still welcome!
  • steele84steele84 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What I did to help solidify the cmds and meanings was to copy the cmd references from each chapter review in the Odem book and read them nightly.
    “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • ITsubcedITsubced Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello duplexed_,

Here are my advices:
    About the exact memory command icon_arrow.gif Do a few lab again, without using the ? keyword. Just don't use it.

About the show commands icon_arrow.gif make a list based on your mind maps/primary topics of your study.
    For example, in each end of a chapter you have some show commands.

[...] remembering the exact range of private address space, useable ACL number ranges and things like that [...] icon_arrow.gif Take a paper sheet, write and learn them.
    Stick the paper to the wall, watch them once a day. May sounds/like dumb, but really work.

In my opinion, in the incomming days before the exam you should :
    Do one or more practice exam and after that, study harder your weaks areas

My two cents
    icon_profileright.gif
    2017 Certification Goals: ICND2 [] CCNP []
  • NansNans Member Posts: 160
    m also curious to know how the configuration questions play out? and what the typical 'synthesis' questions to expect are?

I am not going to break the NDA by saying what they ask but can suggest you how your approach should be..

Start analyzing right from the basics (layer 1 and go up..when troubleshooting protocols begin from the start..), do the job to the point as asked, don't go for an easy process...

All the best..!
    2016 Certification Goals: CCNP Route /COLOR][B][/B][I][B]X[/B][/I][COLOR=#008000-->Switch/COLOR]:study:[COLOR=#ff8c00-->TShoot[], CCDP []
    I took a full practice exam yesterday and I passed, but I was right on the limit - and I literally answered the last question in the nick of time before the timer ran out. Definitely a morale boost though.

I recognize that I got hung up on a couple of questions (like VLSM) for longer than I should have so I'm going to practice that stuff a bit more, and also review the topics where I got questions wrong.

After that I'll probably go over my other weaker areas such as commands and do some more lab scenarios.

Fingers crossed :)
    I feel like for the exam, when you are working through a question and, for example, you discover that the first answer A is correct and you are confident - you need to just choose that answer and move on. There is not necessarily time to work through the rest of the possible answers to be doubly sure that you are correct.

Do you guys agree?
  • ITsubcedITsubced Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In my opinion, you should read all the answer and define the wrong answers. And then, you can be confident picking the correct answer

When the question involve math, I don't do this. I just do the math and pick the right answer

icon_profileright.gif

Edit (21/03/2016 22:48 ) : Good luck and all the best for your exam duplexed_
    2017 Certification Goals: ICND2 [] CCNP []
  • danutzzdanutzz Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Best of luck at your exam, let us know how it went! :)

I took the exam once 2 and a bit years ago on the very last days of the 640-822, I was using Odom's book (went through it thorougly twice and skimmed it once) and had absolutelly zero time of simulations and CLI practice. Obviously failed the exam but it was a damn close one (780-ish, don't remember the exact score, just that it was very close to passing :/ )
    I've been postponing this one for a bit too long, got a job meanwhile and didn't find the needed motivation and so on. However, I've recently started with the reading and am using Odom's book and Jeremy Cioara's CBT nuggets. I also have access to Chris Bryant's training on Udemy (although I feel Jeremy Cioara's videos are considerably superior). What can you recommend in terms of network simulator? Would you say that the Packet Tracer is enough? Or should I dive into GNS3 as well? What other options have you considered for your prep?

Thanks in advance!
    Daniel
    Hey guys, unfortunately failed with 775 / 804. I was pretty nervous.

There's loads I'd like to discuss about the whole thing but I don't want to be in breach of any rules. The questions served were....unexpected.

My weakest area was device security. [Not ACL related.]

I also felt I could have done better in the simulation labs, so if anyone can point me in the direction of any (preferably free) practice labs and/or practice questions that would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
  • twinn-burnertwinn-burner Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hey duplexed care to email me...

I wanted to discuss a few things with you;

newmanrb@hotmail.com
  • Mike RMike R Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can post your breakdown of areas Duplexed, if you want. I've seen a lot of people here use the Boson practice test. While those aren't free neither is failing any test. You weren't far off though so just restudy your weaker areas.
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cisco exams are no joke, the CCENT is a hard test for an entry level exam, you came close, so take this loss as a 'split decision' You'll definitely get it next time.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
    danny069 wrote: »
    Cisco exams are no joke, the CCENT is a hard test for an entry level exam, you came close, so take this loss as a 'split decision' You'll definitely get it next time.

Yeah, I'm not too down about it. I won't give up.
    Mike R wrote: »
    You can post your breakdown of areas Duplexed, if you want. I've seen a lot of people here use the Boson practice test. While those aren't free neither is failing any test. You weren't far off though so just restudy your weaker areas.

Operation of IP data networks 67%
    LAN switching tech 82%
    Ip addressing v4/6 67%
    IP routing tech 64%
    IP services 100%
    Network device security 38%
    Troubleshooting 57%

I've got the cert guide network simulator full version which luckily was bought for me, but it just repeatedly guides you through scenarios and holds your hand, that's not helping. I need to be put on the spot like the actual test without hints or guidance. Is boson good for that?
  • Mike RMike R Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm still about a month off from taking the CCENT so I haven't purchased the Boson test personally. I know a lot of people here though do use them to help prepare. If your interested in perhaps another book I would strongly recommend Todd Lammle's study guide or review guide.
  • ChadiusChadius Member Posts: 313 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Boson is pretty good. The Transcender software is ok. I kept seeing duplicate questions on the Boson and the simulations weren't at the level I saw during the test. Transcender's simulations were closer to the CCENT test.