Help me find out the company...

ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have a few companies in mind but nothing concrete, I know the recruitment firm but they must have changed the job title/desription.

seeking an
Intelligence Analyst to support a Security Operations Center for a global company in Herndon, VA . The Intelligence Analyst should have extensive experience with intelligence analysis and gathering through open source tools to perform intelligence analysis. The Intelligence Analyst will debrief key stakeholders and explain how to integrate a defensive system. The Intelligence Analyst will have the opportunity to support a globally known company and work with various cyber technologies.

A strong candidate for the Intelligence Analyst position MUST possess the following:
  • 3+ years of experience with intelligence analysis
  • Experience supporting a SOC, Threat Analysis, or working alongside a Threat Intelligence group
  • Knowledge or experience with IDS/IPS, firewalls, SIEM or security platforms
  • Ability to demonstrate experience with open source tools and data correlation
  • Strong Written and Verbal Communication

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I don't understand?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Job is posted by Piper, a recruiting firm. I assume OP is trying to find out who the job is actually with.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Here is an ad where they call the position a "Threat Analyst" incase anyone is curious...

Threat Analyst job - Piper Companies - Herndon, VA | Indeed.com

Could be this position:
    https://defpoint.applicantpro.com/jobs/355766-4734.html

who knows though
  • SoCalGuy858SoCalGuy858 Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A quick google search shows that Symantec, General Dynamics IT, Vencore, and Secure Mission Solutions all have open job reqs for variants of "Cyber Intelligence Analysts" within Herndon, VA.
    LinkedIn - Just mention you're from TE!
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have you tried calling them and asking about the position?
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It doesn't appear to match the descriptions or requirements of any of the positions on internal listings at GDIT right now
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Priston wrote: »
    Have you tried calling them and asking about the position?

^^ This. Are you trying to do research or just trying to cut out the recruiter?
  • bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    ^^ This. Are you trying to do research or just trying to cut out the recruiter?

Good idea. I recommend going straight for the company and cutting out the recruiter.
    2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
    Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science
  • ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would like to go straight to the company, I don't like going through recruiting firms.
  • GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
    Personally I love going through recruiters and suggest them. Even at my last job in Herndon matter of fact, working for a globally known computer company I witnessed the impact recruiters have. Recruiters in the situations I have experienced had direct access to the Hiring Managers or Leads in other departments including my own. My Supervisor used to look through resumes sent from various recruiters trying to fill positions. Actually that is how I received my job, through a recruiter. Then you have these big recruiting firms (in my area) like Apex, Insight Global, and TEKSystems that "certain" companies only pull candidates from. To add to that, if you're in the DMV area I know my boss used to ask certain people if they knew the person that applied. Or if you're a dirt bag and should be hired. Lets say your resume say your worked for ABC company 3 years ago and I know for a fact Tom worked for ABC company. My manager would go ask Tom about you. You might get an interview to make the recruiter happy but if Tom said you are lazy, the Hiring Manager already knows he isn't hiring you and only wasting your time. It's a dirty game in the DMV area. Tom could of screwed you and you not even had known it. You might not even of known Tom worked for the company you applied to but you told him FU 4 years ago and he is upset about it still.

Yes, you're going to take a pay cut. But in 6 months most of the time you can go perm with the prime in most situations. People talk bad about recruiters all the time. If you want to put your resume in the system with the other bulk load of people that applied that is your choice. You just have to hope they get to your resume and call before the other 40+ qualified people (that applied)get the call. Truth be told since you're in the DMV area no disrespect, it's hundreds of other qualified individuals just like you. So, I would suggest a recruiter. Herndon/Ashburn and the surrounding area with Verizon AOL and the 10 other big companies, you are going against competition. IT is big in the area.

On a third note, 99.999% of the time the hiring manager that the recruiter went through and the hiring manager your resume is going to if you apply and he/she needs to give the thumbs up for an interview is the same person. So, depending on the person that might not look favorably. Just giving advice, since I am veryyyyyyyy familiar one because I worked in Herndon and two because I have interviewed with more than one company in the Ashbrun/Herndon area.
  • si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    GirlyGirl wrote: »
    Even at my last job in Herndon matter of fact, working for a globally known computer company I witnessed the impact recruiters have. Recruiters in the situations I have experienced had direct access to the Hiring Managers or Leads in other departments including my own.

Unfortunately, this is true nowadays. I really hate to admit it more than everyone else, but without recruiters, I wouldn't have worked for the large companies I have. The recruiters are hired by these companies because they are basically doing the paperwork for the company.

Now - that doesn't make recruiters good. In fact, I detest them. I think they're "middle men" who are essentially taking money that should be yours. Take this for example, I applied directly for a company 6 months ago, they offered 30k. A recruiter called me 3 months after i'd turned them down and said they're offering 25k to people - he didn't know i'd previously been offered a job with them directly.

Recruiters for me are the bane of the IT world. As I mentioned, they're well established now and it's rare to go directly to a company without a "middle man", but whatever you do, don't let them pressure you into roles you aren't 100% sure about. I've had recruiters tell me "you'll regret not doing this job - what are you thinking??" in aggressive tones, but I always try and stick to my guns.

As for going direct - honestly, it pains me to say this, but it doesn't help as much as people think. It's the best way in theory, but the company has paid the recruiters and wants results from that recruiter. (just in my experience anyway.)
  • ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I want to guess and say that this position is a close to a match as I can get. A clearance is not required for this so that eliminates all the gov contractors.

https://symantec.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/careers/job/USA---Virginia-Herndon/Senior-Cyber-Intelligence-Analyst---Symantec_34504-3?source=170
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    My guess is when you're a contractor via a recruiting firm, it is easier for the client to fire you if they need to? Versus hiring their own full time employee?
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would like to go straight to the company, I don't like going through recruiting firms.

Some companies only hire through outside recruiters. You might short yourself trying to avoid all of them, there are some decent recruiters out there. What I like about recruiters is I can ask them about 30 seconds into my first call, what's the salary range? If I tried to do that to an HR screener at the company I'd likely get shot down and asked to go through 3 more interviews before I get to that.