Salary Negotiation - Advice?

dcarey4698dcarey4698 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
So, I am interviewing for my first full-time position as a Systems Support Analyst. I only have a little less than a year of experience with support through an internship and an on-campus job. I also have not gotten my degree, although I am currently taking courses for it.

I have noticed through other interviews that employers in this area like to get into the salary-talk pretty early in the process. With the experience that I have, I am only used to part-time, hourly pay. I have looked at salary data in the area for these types of positions and the median salary is around $50k. I do know that since I am fresh in the field I will not make anything close to that, but I also don't want to be low balled and end up working for much less than I could be. I was thinking of telling them around $40k. Does anybody think that's a good price to come in at? Or is it too high/low?

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    For your first full-time position, that is fine. Where do you live? Does the job posting have a salary listed already?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would start at 50k, don't think it is too crazy since you have some experience and a college degree. I'm assuming they will come back with a lower number but I would not start at 40k. Thats just too low of a starting point. If you had no experience then yea, maybe start at 40k, but you not since you have it.
  • bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    I agree with scaredoftests, where you live is extremely important for this negotiation. 40k is reasonable in a low COL area but it would behoove you to ask for more if you are in a metro area.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • dcarey4698dcarey4698 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For your first full-time position, that is fine. Where do you live? Does the job posting have a salary listed already?

The job is in Charleston, SC. And no, it doesn't have a salary already posted. But thanks!
    do a search of salaries for that particular position in the SC area...
    do a search of salaries for that particular position in the SC area...

I did. That's how I came up with 50k. I figured with a little bit of experience I can get at least 40k
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Give them the 50k figure and the data to back it up. See what they counter with, but know how low you'll go. Don't tell them you'll take 40. If they counter with 35, counter with 42.5 and extra vacation days. Vacation days are freebies for them and valuable for you, esp. just starting out!
    Give them the 50k figure and the data to back it up. See what they counter with, but know how low you'll go. Don't tell them you'll take 40. If they counter with 35, counter with 42.5 and extra vacation days. Vacation days are freebies for them and valuable for you, esp. just starting out!

Yeah true. I don't want to lose them though. I would hate to ask for too much with this being my first full-time job.
    say 49,500..
    When they asked me about salary expectations, I choked and said "around the 40,000 range." icon_redface.gif But oh well, I still don't think that'll be bad at all for my first full-time job. I'll keep everyone updated as to whether I get it or not!
    UPDATE: I have made it to the final round of interviews, which is an in-person interview with the Regional IT Manager along with one of the company's top executives (video conferencing with us from Dallas). It is scheduled for next week, I'll let you guys know if I get it!
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good Luck!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • ThomasITguyThomasITguy Banned Posts: 181
    I learned this the hard way......

Its easier to start high and negotiate down... then to start LOW and try to go high. If the median salary is 50K then start at 50. Do NOT start at 40K then try to talk them up to 50. Because what will happen is in their mind they are saying "well if he will take 40K then maybe he will do it for 35k" but if you will negotiate down to 45k start at 50k and then go down to a agreed upon salary arrangement.
    I know, I messed up coming in at the salary that I actually want. I just didn't want to be not considered for the position at all because I wanted too much money. The only time they've asked me about my salary expectations was in the initial phone screening. Maybe I'll get to negotiate a little higher. I guess we'll see.
  • SaSkillerSaSkiller Member Posts: 337 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When do you guys negotiate salary? I know recruiters always ask what i'm looking for during an initial call, is this the time or wait until I have an offer from the company? If I should wait, what is best to say when the question comes up in that initial call?
    OSWP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CPT, CCENT, CompTIA Trio.
    This is my first time negotiating salary. But from what I've learned from people I know and what I've read on here, the real salary negotiation starts when they offer you the job. They usually state all of the aspects of your compensation (salary, vacation days, 401k, etc.). I believe the salary question during the initial call is just to make sure that you're looking for a salary that is in the range that they are willing to pay for that position.
    And the best thing, in my opinion, is to give them a figure above what you really would take as a salary. Also, don't choke like I did and come in low. You can look up the median salary for a position in any given area online and use that as a guideline.
    So, my supervisor actually suggested that I come in higher since HR handled the salary. I came in at 57k-58k and they came back with 48k which I accepted. I have been working for them for about 2 months now and I love it so far.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Where I work, internal positions have the salary range as part of the job description, but outside applicants do not have that information. The next level job for me pays 85k to 120k, When a job open up, I plan on asking for 100k.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • pinksjpinksj Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the Job @dcarey4698 glad to hear that you love it. That is very important they you enjoy what you are working on and learning in my opinion should be very important in the initial years of working.

All the very best.
  • TechytachTechytach Member Posts: 140
    What a nice supervisor! Grats.