How do you guys stay motivated?

satosato Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been studying for my Network+ exam for a year now but i find it hard to study and staying focused. What are some tips or maybe some websites that you guys know than can help and motivate me. I feel like I am taking forever for something I should have done by now. confused.png

Comments

• AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey there, don't give up! Honestly I try to take any exam within 3 months or less otherwise I tend to lose my motivation as well. For those 3 months I just completely immerse myself in studying every spare chance I get. I read books, watch training videos, look stuff up online, take practice test, etc. If you feel like you still have quite a bit of studying ahead of you before you're ready to take the exam you may want to take a week off from studying to give your brain a rest.
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    1 - Gotta be something you find interesting and WANT to do

2 - Tell yourself why you're doing it. If not knowledge, then for a pay bump? Better job? Visualize yourself achieving the desired benefit before studying and hopefully it'll help motivate you some
  • Infosec85Infosec85 Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Must be interesting to you, I must say when I done this certification I absolutely loved it. Really enjoyed labs and practicing.
  • BoxxerBoxxer Member Posts: 25 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I know everyone is different, and I will share what I do to stay motivated:

* Set small goals each step of the way

This is probably the most important step in achieving your main goal, which in your case would be the Network+. You can do this by setting a weekly goal, and then a daily goal (which will be different each day, because you should be progressing). At the end of the week I review my progress to make sure I kept on track and met my weekly goal. I usually take Sundays off and schedule the upcoming week with a new set of goals.

* Time management

I set my goals based on essentially a self performance evaluation to see how much I can do in one sitting before getting distracted/bored. I use this to set a block(s) of time each day for studying (and in my case everything since I plan out each day). If unexpected things come up during the block of time I have set, I will reschedule and sometimes have to move everything back 1 day. If you have a choice, choose your study time when you are most awake, not when you are tired.

* Exercise and healthy eating habits

I have exercising/running in my weekly schedule to 5 days a week, about 20-40 minutes a day depending on what exercises I am doing. I don't watch what I eat because I made it a habit to eat healthy foods the majority of the time. I don't drink soda or any caffeinated drinks because it makes me sluggish and tired.

* I enjoy my weekends/vacations/time away from working and studying.

I will sprinkle in study time on Saturdays, but very little, and usually its only in the early morning hours when I am most awake. I usually do something outdoors on the weekends and enjoy other people's company, I use it to relax and have fun. Sometimes I do a lot of gaming on weekends if I am not doing anything else.

I think the main thing you can get out of this, is to set goals and moderate yourself. You will have to create new habits, most likely, to help you get through it. Remember not to push yourself too hard or you will just wear yourself out. Motivation doesn't come out of thin air, nor can anyone really just tell you what to do.
    To achieve a goal you must progress towards it with smaller goals step by step.

Good luck, hope this was helpful
  • techtiatechtia Member Posts: 144
    The sooner you get them out of your way, the sooner you won't have to stay motivated.

Type 'motivational' into YouTube. Its all about exercise but maybe you can apply it to reading.
  • adrenaline19adrenaline19 Member Posts: 251
    I set aside time and say, "this time is dedicated to studying".

That works pretty well for me.
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Its hard to motivate people. Its usually inside that person. Nobody can push a person but himself.
  • CyberSecurityCyberSecurity Member Posts: 85 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I schedule the test about 1/2 through studying so that I either have to study, or fail and lose my $$$investment$$$.
    Ph.D. IT [UC] - 50% complete
    M.S.C.I.A. [WGU] - Completed 6/2018
    B.S.I.T.M. [WGU] - Completed 4/2017
  • NansNans Member Posts: 160
    Schedule the exam and donate your salary to a trusting friend who will give it back to you when you pass. Lets see how many days you will take to pass the exam this time icon_twisted.gif hahaha just kidding.

To me I love networking and want to be a valuable part of the team where I will be the last hope to save them (Superman :P lol). That's how I think when I feel bored which pushes me a bit more before I call it a day.. So you need to figure out what is that you want and there lies the motivation.
    2016 Certification Goals: CCNP Route /COLOR][B][/B][I][B]X[/B][/I][COLOR=#008000-->Switch/COLOR]:study:[COLOR=#ff8c00-->TShoot[], CCDP []
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This website can be very motivating. icon_smile.gif
    Join in the community and help others.
    Put your certification goals in your signature.
  • satosato Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks you all for your help. I feel better about it now. icon_cheers.gif
  • updatepediaupdatepedia Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    in the beginning it's hard, but actually it is easy if you focus on your studying
  • EagerDinosaurEagerDinosaur Member Posts: 114
    I find it sometimes helps to take my books and my study equipment to a different location for a few days, ideally one with minimum distractions. That helps remove the temptation to watch TV, surf the Internet, etc. instead of studying. I don't think I could maintain motivation for an entire year, I aim to spend less than 2 months studying for each exam.
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Book your exam for 2-3 weeks from today. You'd be surprised how motivating it is to be out 200 dollars and a year of study should more than prepare you for this.

Also get a trial or buy a month of Pluralsight and watch the Net+ stuff on there. Watching is easier than reading for some people.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know that it may sound corny, but make a "dream board" and set it as your desktop wall paper. Put images of the things and situations that you want in your life on it and you'll be reminded of them every time that you Alt+Tab over to another application.

I’ve had a number of them over the years. As I get the things that I want and create the life that I want, they become less relevant until a time comes that I have to replace it and start over again. Take a second or two to look at what you’ve created when you get tired and dream a little of the life that you want.
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • dcarey4698dcarey4698 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I know that it may sound corny, but make a "dream board" and set it as your desktop wall paper. Put images of the things and situations that you want in your life on it and you'll be reminded of them every time that you Alt+Tab over to another application.

I’ve had a number of them over the years. As I get the things that I want and create the life that I want, they become less relevant until a time comes that I have to replace it and start over again. Take a second or two to look at what you’ve created when you get tired and dream a little of the life that you want.

Very nice! I'm going to try that myself lol
  • satosato Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all your advice fellas.
    Green K for everybody icon_cool.gif
  • jacksonrjacksonr Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Another idea, Book the exam say for two months away, and then subscribe to CBT nuggets on a Monthly basis.
    I am shelling out £50.00 a month on learning, I have studied like a Mother F*****!
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Set a deadline along with the goal. Scheduling an exam always lights a fire under me.

I write down everything that I want to accomplish from achieving certifications to places I wish to visit. I like being able to check those things off. I also like telling others about my plans. Knowing that people will continue to ask for updates keeps me going because I like to demonstrate progress.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS