After a year, my job search is finally over

bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
I am extremely happy to say that after a year of searching and around 10 interviews, I finally received an offer and it wouldnt have been possible if it wasnt for my decision to finish my degree. The company saw I am nearing completion and waived the intial degree requirement!

Out of 43 applicants and 13 interviews, they picked me and it feels fantastic. I am moving up from desktop support to full sys admin doing server builds, managing SQL, SANs, doing virtualization and deploying servers in the field for data collection and analysis.

My knowledge of infrastructure is moderate but limited to theoretical concepts with minor operational experience. Expressing my desire to learn and grow in the interview was crucial for my consideration. They expressed that they liked my attitude and were impressed with my educational achievements thus far. It is very important to carry yourself well in interviews - dont stutter and be confident! Confidence exhibits that you know what you are doing.

This job nets me an extra 18k a year and I even get a TS clearance which is a huge deal in my area. Going from desktop to infrastructure has been the most difficult task for me - MUCH harder than getting my intial break into IT, suprisingly. I feel now that I can finally have some upward mobility over the years and I think that it will be all downhill from here.
"If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon

Comments

• praminpramin Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats. Great job !!!
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    More money, a clearance and career advancement... I would say you nailed it and are reaping well the deserved rewards of not giving up and continuing to better yourself despite set adversity. Congrats!
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Congratulations. Were you working all this time while you searched? Anyway, I know how it feels to FINALLY get where you want to be. icon_cheers.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I wonder how you managed to survive for a year without a job. In parents' basement probably? :)

I would almost certainly went bankrupt if I wasn't able to land a job in a year.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    nice work, congrats!!
  • FillAwfulFillAwful Member Posts: 119 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great work! Enjoy the victory from your perseverance.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Congratulations! icon_smile.gif
  • NansNans Member Posts: 160
    Congratulations..
    2016 Certification Goals: CCNP Route /COLOR][B][/B][I][B]X[/B][/I][COLOR=#008000-->Switch/COLOR]:study:[COLOR=#ff8c00-->TShoot[], CCDP []
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Haha,

I should have stated that I actively searched whilst still employed. Definitely would not have gotten the job otherwise.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    bpenn wrote: »
    Haha,

I should have stated that I actively searched whilst still employed. Definitely would not have gotten the job otherwise.
    Good! Best way to look for a job!icon_thumright.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations on the new job!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats, take time to reach a good job with advance.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□