You are the only one and you quit. How'd it go?

kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
Hello everyone,

I am wondering for those of you that were the sole sys admin, sole network engineer, etc of a company and put in your 2 weeks notice. How'd it go? What did you end up doing (besides caring less) those 2 weeks?

I have to ask because I am 99.999999999999% sure I'll be giving mine on Monday and I am the only one and I am knees deep in projects.

Comments

• broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wouldn't really think about it. Put that notice in and watch their heart break. Try and commit to memory the exact moment it splits in two :>!
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    They will be okay, I'd say. History proved to me that I always seemed to overestimate my role significance in companies and they were just fine after I left.

The thing is, in general, IT solutions are pretty robust if you don't touch them. Current developments will freeze for a while, maybe a couple of years even, but the rest will work just fine. Some minor issues won't be fixed but people instead of calling you and having you fix them will find workarounds and will be fine for a while. Their productivity may fall a little, but nothing serious.

Because me being worried about companies I left, I always kept an eye on them and collected information on how do they do from various sources and it always turned out that they are okay on their own.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My last company I was at, it was just me and my IT manager as the whole IT department. I pretty much took care of everything... But my last 2 weeks, besides not caring much, was document processes of random things I did so manager wasn't left figuring things out.
  • MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My previous company offered me to stay as a 1098 independent contractor for the part time hours needed to maintain their Linux servers.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Spend the last 2 weeks documenting everything you can if it isn't already done. You never know who might take your place, might as well not make their life hell.

For me, I did this once and it was actually worse than I thought! Outside of the systems I also did a bunch of ecommerce work for them. I tried to teach other people, no one was interested. When I left I had written guides on how to do things, tried to teach others, again. Within a few months their seller ratings all tanked, they were booted from a few ecommerce sales platforms. They ended up pulling out completely and it was a loss of hundreds of thousands of dollars a year... I felt bad, but I tried to help them, I really did, I even came back on a few weekends and nights paid hourly teaching people who then quickly quit when they saw how much responsibility they had, still crazy to me that they shut the entire department down.
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've done it before. Make sure it's best for you, give them as much notice as possible, and remember it's a job, not a friendship.

If your company is in northern IL, give them my consulting company's name to cover untilt hey hire someone. ;)
  • thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I felt bad for a little bit, then I realized they only wanted to hire one guy and pump as much labor out of him as possible. They stressed when they hired me that they were an "at-will" company and that they could fire me at any time. They shouldn't be surprised if I will quit at any time.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • NansNans Member Posts: 160
    I heard they walk you out immediately and pay the rest of your two weeks without working. Since these fields are highly sensitive i believed it too :P . Well congratulations on your new Job..
    2016 Certification Goals: CCNP Route /COLOR][B][/B][I][B]X[/B][/I][COLOR=#008000-->Switch/COLOR]:study:[COLOR=#ff8c00-->TShoot[], CCDP []
  • hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The last job I was at, I was an "intern" for 6 months (which was BS, shady practices on their part and took money out of my pocket) and then turned full time. Two weeks into it, the guy I worked with who was there for 9 years put in his two weeks. I put mine in the next day. Such is life, oh well. That was it, we were the only two IT guys (plus a developer and CIO but hands on servers and desktop stuff, it was just us two).
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I got that situation I documented a lot and then they hired me like a retainer from home for 8 month, it was good.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    I would worry about myself. A job is a job. "Pay me more if you want me. "
  • pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have done this. Honestly, think no differently than if you were in another role. THey will survive. Best you can do is document everything and do everything during your last two weeks to assist.