Options

15 days full time RHCSA

2»

Comments

• Options
    EnimEnim Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for posting! Your post will not be visible until a moderator has approved it for posting. It is possible our system incorrectly considers your post to be spam, feel free to use our contact form (link at bottom of all pages) if it takes longer than a day.

!!!!???
    what's going on !!?
    Admin please i've a serious problem here,, so many times i tried to send a post and everything goes to "/dev/null"
  • Options
    anyway,
    hello vteche, shall we continue the discussion in one of your previous thread "RHCSA - Skype study group",
    i didn't see it before i posted the same idea here, my bad.
  • Options
    vtechevteche Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Enim, relax. for members who joined new, they have this process, to stop spammers ..etc... but after few post, it will be just normal.
  • Options
    oh, ok,,,
    , it seems that it behave like that only when i put a link in the post, (just an internal link, to another thread)
  • Options
    ok then, i'll see withhiddenknight821, he seems to be interested,
    i'll try to contact him, figure out a convenient way to communicate and work together,
    and propose it on the other thread,

if you have a better idea, please go ahead.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Good luck vteche, are you taking the exam in a classroom or kiosk?
  • Options
    ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    stick to the Red Hat exam objective guidelines and you will be fine.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Enim wrote: »
    ok then, i'll see withhiddenknight821, he seems to be interested,
    i'll try to contact him, figure out a convenient way to communicate and work together,
    and propose it on the other thread

I replied to your PM. I've thought about it, and I'm too busy to participate in an accountability group as I only have very limited time in my daily schedule, and I'd be lucky to get free time during the weekend. I've already laid out a plan to self-study, and I haven't even touched linuxacacdemy resource yet (inaccessible to me at the moment; I have hearing loss and they don't provide subtitles). I'm expecting my Jang RHEL 7 book to arrive tomorrow after work. I'm also using Sander Van Vugt book too to prep for the test. After documenting my lab set ups and lab scenarios I struggle with, I think I'll do just fine.
  • Options
    vtechevteche Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @varelg, thanks! my exam is in 16th of April.

Still studying like an hour a day, just trying not to forget small stuff such as, when you extend already mounted LV, pass "-r" so it update the file system...alot of little little stuff that can fail you.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Hey vteche, sorry if I've missed it elsewhere, did you pass your exam on the 16th?
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    _root_root Banned Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I take it that you didn't pass?

Was really hoping it's possible...

Someone should really come up with lots of practice labs..like over 50 labs start to finish where all the objectives are applied. Pretty much wake up everyday do them over and over again..for 60 days. I think only then one could pass rhcsa with ease.
  • Options
    _root wrote: »
    I take it that you didn't pass?

Was really hoping it's possible...

Someone should really come up with lots of practice labs..like over 50 labs start to finish where all the objectives are applied. Pretty much wake up everyday do them over and over again..for 60 days. I think only then one could pass rhcsa with ease.
    Are you intending on sitting the exam eventually?
    I didn't pass the first time, but now I feel like I am really ready as I started doing things differently the second time around.
    From my own experience, setting up your own environment to prep for the test is beyond valuable. Cert Depot in that retrospect helped me tremendously. It will involve a lot of cloning and tearing down of VM's, especially when you practice stuff that even as a Linux enthusiast you haven't been exposed to, like NFS and Samba shares and LDAP/IPA and Kerberos.
    Linux Academy provides a cloud environment with virtual servers that you can set up and tear down in minutes, and that's valuable but there are limitations. Multiple NIC's for example, or virtualization.
    Sander's book comes with a DVD that contains (among other things) images as virtual appliances that you can use to have a ready-made setup of a server to which you'd practice authenticating and mounting shares from. And that's valuable too. But nothing else helped me learn more about remote mounts and remote authenticating like setting up my own LDAP, IPA, Kerberized NFS and Samba servers through following tutorials on Cert Depot.
    So take time and put effort first into setting up an environment by yourself, preferably either on a dual-boot machine or a virtualization solution that allows nested virtualization (for the sake of virtualization prep) with ample RAM for multiple VM's active at the same time, install NFS, Samba, LDAP servers and learn how to Kerberize them, install an IPA server and a VM that would serve you as a template for clients that you'll incessantly build up and tear down as you practice remote authentication and authorization to the servers that you previously set up. As well as local stuff, like file system operations, user management, SELinux and the like.
  • Options
    _root_root Banned Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    varelg wrote: »
    Are you intending on sitting the exam eventually?
    I didn't pass the first time, but now I feel like I am really ready as I started doing things differently the second time around.
    From my own experience, setting up your own environment to prep for the test is beyond valuable. Cert Depot in that retrospect helped me tremendously. It will involve a lot of cloning and tearing down of VM's, especially when you practice stuff that even as a Linux enthusiast you haven't been exposed to, like NFS and Samba shares and LDAP/IPA and Kerberos.
    Linux Academy provides a cloud environment with virtual servers that you can set up and tear down in minutes, and that's valuable but there are limitations. Multiple NIC's for example, or virtualization.
    Sander's book comes with a DVD that contains (among other things) images as virtual appliances that you can use to have a ready-made setup of a server to which you'd practice authenticating and mounting shares from. And that's valuable too. But nothing else helped me learn more about remote mounts and remote authenticating like setting up my own LDAP, IPA, Kerberized NFS and Samba servers through following tutorials on Cert Depot.
    So take time and put effort first into setting up an environment by yourself, preferably either on a dual-boot machine or a virtualization solution that allows nested virtualization (for the sake of virtualization prep) with ample RAM for multiple VM's active at the same time, install NFS, Samba, LDAP servers and learn how to Kerberize them, install an IPA server and a VM that would serve you as a template for clients that you'll incessantly build up and tear down as you practice remote authentication and authorization to the servers that you previously set up. As well as local stuff, like file system operations, user management, SELinux and the like.

Hi,
    Thanks for your advice!
    Yes, I've been meaning to get my RHCSA soon, and set a date aroud mid-late June.
    Correct me if I'm wrong- but isn't setting up nfs/samba part of RHCE? For the RHCSA it's just the little (or major..however you look at it personally) things like user/group creation, permissions, file system management, etc?

In any case, I've done the nfs/dns bind/samba/ nis/ iptable firewalld rules, and postfix as part of my associates and confident I will be able to do it..just need the practice until I don;t get bugged down..literally. Like- we has days/weeks to troubleshoot, google, and fix errors but don't have that luxury on the exam.

What I really need is just start to finish practical labs covering all the objectives of the exam..and LOTS of them.

The biggest thing for me is commitment to shell out $400..what if I fail..or the cert doesn't do anything if I even pass (BIG concern as I don't have any enterprise experience in Linux or sysadmin in general)
  • Options
    When you set your aim at RHCSA, you are also aiming at RHCE. You'll want to sit it as well. Not immediately, but one day surely. So, while true that Samba, NFS, LDAP, IPA and Kerberos server setup is not part of the exam you are preparing for, for me it made the change since I haven't been exposed to remote authentication and authorization. So maybe it comes down to is: what is it that you are most uncomfortable with from the list of objectives?
    It's $400 for the exam IN ADDITION to travel expenses and arrangements if the testing center is away from where you live. :D
    As per motivation to take the exam, that is personal for each candidate. There are people that aren't working in IT that plan on taking the exam. Then there are IT veterans that take the exam and do not pass. And there are people sent by their employer to take the course and the exam. What would be decisive for you to sit the exam?