Beginner studying for certifications

wilsdawgwilsdawg Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, hope you all are doing well. I am new here and I currently have a two year degree, in Information Security and Digital Forensics from Edmonds Community College, and I am working towards my Bachelors degree at Central Washington University. I am going to start studying for certifications, I already have completed the CEH, but I am wondering if I should keep this cert or not since they now want $80 a year for it. I was also wondering what is going to be the certifications to have for the next 10 years? I am looking into virtualization, Microsoft certifications, and Information Security. Should I do networking certifications as well? Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

Comments

• NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    I already have completed the CEH, but I am wondering if I should keep this cert or not since they now want $80 a year for it.
    I think CEH is a beginners certs. From what I perceive, guys from infosec looks down on CEH until you really prove that you can actually hack.

I was also wondering what is going to be the certifications to have for the next 10 years?
    I think certs will be there. Schools cannot keep up with technology. Certs curriculum changes every year or 2. Usually, the certs changes comes from real world feedback.

Should I do networking certifications as well?
    It wouldn't hurt you. Infosec is big. Just look at CISSP. You have systems, network, social engineering, and etc.

Let's say you work for SOC. They ask the group if "can anybody pen test the LAN and wireless Infrastructure?"
    What would you do?
    Would you think networking certs will help?

What is your main goal?
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What the above said, also you have to understand that most certifications do have maintenance fees and CPE requirements. Usually if you receive a certificate it should bump up your salary also. The world is not free, the companies that offer the certificates they need the fees to improve, develop new versions and pay their employees. I have 2 certifications that I have to pay maintenance fees and it's now almost at $200 and a year and thats only 2. Imagine how much the rest of the people here have to pay that have more than 2. No reason to complain about the $80.
  • wilsdawgwilsdawg Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok I was just curious thanks for the info.
    Thanks for the help.
    =NOC-Ninja;1015151]I think CEH is a beginners certs. From what I perceive, guys from infosec looks down on CEH until you really prove that you can actually hack.

I think certs will be there. Schools cannot keep up with technology. Certs curriculum changes every year or 2. Usually, the certs changes comes from real world feedback.

It wouldn't hurt you. Infosec is big. Just look at CISSP. You have systems, network, social engineering, and etc.

Let's say you work for SOC. They ask the group if "can anybody pen test the LAN and wireless Infrastructure?"
    What would you do?
    Would you think networking certs will help?

[QUOTEWhat is your main goal?[/QUOTE]

I want to go into Information Security, I am also considering doing virtualization.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    @wilsdawg;

In the short run virtualization will pay more immediately than will security where experience comes first, certs a distant second. In particular look to cloud and hybrid cloud for more immediate employment. From there you can work on the longer term security goals with ease.

My viewpoint on the career progression will not reflect that of any academic institute or their subsidiaries. LOL

- b/eads

- b/eads