Route

MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
First day/night of actual study and I am spending more time troubleshooting stupid GNS3 crashes. UGH. I am using Bryant's new book, following along with his videos and the OCG. I want to get my EIGRP on. This is really frustrating.

/rant.

Comments

• james43026james43026 Member Posts: 303 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Honestly, at the CCNP level you should start looking into real equipment, GNS3 is limited. And just using GNS3 or other emulators and simulators, will most likely handicap you. And as you are seeing, since you aren't dealing with the real hardware, you can run into lots of issues, where the emulator just doesn't work, or behaves in strange ways. But an emulator can be better than a simulator at least.

The way I see it, if you are going to spend $750 bucks on the exam, spending another $500-$1000 on equipment to study with, will take you a long way.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't waste time / money with hardware. It simply is not needed. Sounds like you are new to GNS3. Once you get past the initial setup gremlins you are solid. Trust me you will be able to grind lab content SO much faster in GNS3 than with real equipment and you will see the value in that very quickly. I used nothing but GNS3 for labbing for my ROUTE studies and now with SWITCH. I wouldn't have it any other way.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I work for a VAR, so I see live equipment erryday. I am no stranger to kit. I am not paying for the exams, and don't have the cash to get 15 code capable routers right now, so I tried GNS3. I am not new to it, per se, but I am new to this server setup they have. I am running my server on VMware Workstation, and I lose connectivity pretty regularly. It's frustrating. I am going to try UNL, I think.
    Mow wrote: »
    I work for a VAR, so I see live equipment erryday. I am no stranger to kit. I am not paying for the exams, and don't have the cash to get 15 code capable routers right now, so I tried GNS3. I am not new to it, per se, but I am new to this server setup they have. I am running my server on VMware Workstation, and I lose connectivity pretty regularly. It's frustrating. I am going to try UNL, I think.

Server setup? I just run it on my home PC on windows 7 and it's rock solid. You could always look into VIRL too if you are running a beefy server as the core hardware to support it.
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
    I think I'm going to try to find an older release of GNS3. I am running 1.4.4 and it's trouble.
    Installed 1.2.3 and everything's running like a dream!
    Ya I usually delay any kind of upgrades on brand new software releases, especially freeware. I'm running 1.3.7 on my work PC, and I think a flavor of 1.3.x at home.
    mow wrote: »
    installed 1.2.3 and everything's running like a dream!

nice!!!!!
    I didn't spend a whole lot of time troubleshooting 1.4.4 because I just want to study the routing protocols. There was something weird with it when I set it up about the server portion. It wouldn't accept the local server for whatever reason, so I had to run one in VMware Workstation. It wasn't working out. I'm glad they have old releases available, or I would have been upset!
    Mow wrote: »
    I didn't spend a whole lot of time troubleshooting 1.4.4 because I just want to study the routing protocols. There was something weird with it when I set it up about the server portion. It wouldn't accept the local server for whatever reason, so I had to run one in VMware Workstation. It wasn't working out. I'm glad they have old releases available, or I would have been upset!

Glad to hear you got it running. Yes I agree its best to just find what works and stick with it to bash out on the command line!
    Hm, any EIGRP gurus that can assist me? I have 3 routers, two of them are configured as EIGRP stubs, but they are forming an adjacency?

R1:
    R1#sh run | sec eigrp
    no ip split-horizon eigrp 100
    router eigrp 100
    network 1.1.1.0 0.0.0.255
    network 172.12.123.0 0.0.0.255

R2:
    R2#sh run | sec eigrp
    router eigrp 100
    network 2.2.2.0 0.0.0.255
    network 172.12.23.0 0.0.0.31
    eigrp stub connected summary

R3:
    R3#sh run | sec eigrp
    router eigrp 100
    network 3.3.3.0 0.0.0.255
    network 172.12.23.0 0.0.0.31
    eigrp stub connected summary
    R3#

Thanks for any insight!
  • james43026james43026 Member Posts: 303 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I guess it comes down to preference.
    james43026 wrote: »
    I guess it comes down to preference.

I honestly don't think you're wrong about having real equipment at the CCNP level. I hope I didn't come across as dismissive in my response, I was frustrated at the time. I work with real equipment, but can't configure it however I want. Plus, money is a huge concern (I have 5 kids), so I have to make due with an emulator, unfortunately. You are correct, though, real gear would be a lot better and a lot more stable and predictable. icon_thumright.gif