Passed CEHv9 4/1

t@tt003dg33kt@tt003dg33k Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I read a lot of threads on this forum regarding the CEHv9 and they made me nervous. I felt like I needed to perform a lot of research outside of the course material or I wouldn't be prepared for the exam. The boot camp I attended pays for the second attempt if you fail, so I decided to go for it without the extra research. I used the following to study:

- v8 Practice Questions
- Boson ExamSim (questions are crazy hard (in-depth) so if you do well on those, you should be fine for the exam)
- CEHv9 training materials from EC-Council. NOTE: There are two versions of the material. One set of slides matches the instructor slides, which contain no explanations of the subject matter. The other set (the ones you download from Aspen) contain the explanations, and that's where all of the detailed questions/answers come from.
- Boot camp (good if you have experience and just need help with specific topics or guidance on what to focus on).
- CBT Nuggets (they only have vicon_cool.gif for more info on topics that weren't crystal clear to me.

The exam:
I really don't 'understand why people are so upset about it. I didn't see anything on there that I hadn't seen while studying. It's obvious that most people will be stronger in some areas over others (for example, my background is in networking and I HATE the web and database stuff), so it's important to know your weaknesses and focus on them. All of the posts I read were accurate a far as what to study. If you've studied for your CISSP, it's incredibly helpful with threat/risk/vulnerability questions. I found those pretty simple.

In closing, I just want to say that I've read about people studying for months, even years for CEH and CISSP exams. Neither of these exams are easy and I really don't think you'd be able to pass either of them by simply cramming with brain **** (honestly, why would you want to do that anyway?), but I really don't think it's about how long you study. It's about HOW you study, WHAT you study, and how that information applies to your current knowledge. Studying has to be effective. I studied for my CISSP for two months, and my CEH for 1 week (17 hours a day studying - dreadful, lol). The trick is, be confident in the areas you know, and gain as much confidence as you can in the areas that you don't know so well. And I echo everyone in this forum that has advised again noobs taking this exam. I can't even imagine how stressful that would be, and you won't get much out of the material without having real world situations to relate to.

My to and a half cents....

Comments

• t@tt003dg33kt@tt003dg33k Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry, that should read that CBT Nuggets only has v8 available.
  • SuperISSOSuperISSO Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations. I'm going to take this test in June or July....
  • jojothewhalejojothewhale Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I take it this week.
    SuperISSO wrote: »
    Congratulations. I'm going to take this test in June or July....

I see you have your CISSP, so you should be fine.
    Congrats! I take it this week.

Good Luck!
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I see you have your CISSP, so you should be fine.

There's been CISSP's that have failed CEH. It is a good indication that you are capable of passing, but doesn't mean you won't have to study reasonably seriously.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! How long did it take you to complete the entire exam? And what was your score, if you don't mind that is.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • ablindseyablindsey Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Grats on the pass
    OctalDump wrote: »
    There's been CISSP's that have failed CEH. It is a good indication that you are capable of passing, but doesn't mean you won't have to study reasonably seriously.

Completely agree. I wasn't saying that to the person wouldn't need to study just as hard as everyone else. My only point was that many of the topics would not be new to someone with the CISSP, which provides the opportunity to spend more time with tools and such...
    danny069 wrote: »
    Congrats! How long did it take you to complete the entire exam? And what was your score, if you don't mind that is.

Thanks! I was done in about an hour and 20 minutes, but I studied like crazy. I was really confident in what I knew, and I was also realistic with myself about the topics that I knew might give me a bit of trouble. I didn't get a score, and I'm told you don't get your score if you pass, but I don't know if that's true or not.
    danny069 wrote: »

Just got my score... 80.
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats again!
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • scottlinscottlin Banned Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How different do you think V8 is from V9? I don't have access to V9 materials so I am studying the hell out of V8 stuff so as to give myself some room to miss V9 stuff.

Thanks
    Sorry, 1 more...Were the any labs on the test?
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
    scottlin wrote: »
    Sorry, 1 more...Were the any labs on the test?
    No labs on the test. All multiple choice. From what I'm hearing, the big difference from 8 to 9 is the mobile tools, cloud computing, and risk. Make sure you know details about POODLE, Heartbleed, and Shellshock. I had a LOT of questions about risk. Make sure you know the risk equation, risk options, incident management, etc.
    Thanks and congrats again!