WAN Network Traffic Optimizers

egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
Our company has 2 main offices and about 70 remote offices. We have a recent network issue of users in the remote offices complaining that they are only getting 3Mbps/2.5Mbps upload/download speeds. This is not any network incident it was actually by design. Our VP says that the offices with 5 or less users where allocated minimal bandwidth while the offices with a larger number of users (50+) get to have higher network bandwidth.

The users at the remote offices with 3mbps speeds are now complaining. Herein lies the question.

Is there any type of smart device that can be hooked up to optimize the WAN traffic going between the sites? Where the remote offices with fewer users that get the 3Mbps speeds can have improved speeds while not sacrificing bandwidth allocation across the general network. I'm talking about a device that automatically manages bandwidth allocation depending on the speed/bandwidth demand coming out of the offices regardless of the number of users. That is, when higher speeds/bandwidths are demanded by the applications the devices automatically allocate higher speeds and when the applications require less bandwidth the device toggles down the allocated bandwidth to the branch.

Just thought to share this here at TE. thanks in advance

egrizzly.
B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+

Comments

• LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Lots of devices can do this made by a few different companies. We use Riverbed Steelheads to optimize our WAN traffic. You can priorities specific routes and/or types of traffic.
  • egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Lexluethar wrote: »
    Lots of devices can do this made by a few different companies. We use Riverbed Steelheads to optimize our WAN traffic. You can priorities specific routes and/or types of traffic.

What about bandwidth management? Can Riverbed Steelheads achieve those ?
    What type of management? You can prioritize traffic and tag stuff.
  • Jamm1nJamm1n Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We use the Steelhead/Riverbed system as well.
    no, my situation was not traffic prioritization. I mean based on the aggregate amount of traffic coming out of an office location, or from the number of users regardless of the type of traffic.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    These are not really simple answers. I get a lot of calls and inquires to fix these type of problems. As others have suggested the riverbed appliances can work but you have to ask what type of applications are running? Is this internet traffic, or are they accessing applications across the WAN?

Typically we work with the IT staff and business staff to figure out what are the major apps in use and come up with a policy. Some of this traffic can be optimized by appliances as well as QoS. We typically don't want a policy that says the remote site has 5 users. What if one of those users is the graphic designer who uploads and downloads large files, What if its a Data scientist who runs massive SQL queries against a DB at another site. All these things have to be factored in when figuring out your WAN.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    So you're saying you cannot simply make a policy based on bandwidth demand from a particular site? It has to be based on specific applications?
    Exactly what egrizzly is saying - the 'best practice' would be to prioritize and optimize traffic based off application (traffic) type. Not all traffic is created equal and you need to use a packet sniffer and find out what traffic is being sent / received from that office. From there you can prioritize and manage the traffic.
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Agreed I think the best approach is to prioritize and optimize traffic based upon business driven applications. Previous years I have been a fan of the Riverbed appliances.

However Citrix in my opinion has introduced a game changer with Citrix CloudBridge. They offer WAN optimization/Virtual WAN technology/Bandwidth management. Very impressive.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    what is the throughput of your devices, older routers are slow. What routers are you using do you have 2951's? if you router is old, it may not even handle 10 mbps.
    +1 to Riverbed - they are expensive but do a great job and are very customization.