Basic WAN design

egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hello all,

I am trying to put together a template for a basic WAN network design. The office layout/requirements is at the link below.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c7aw1nsxw9946tc/network_layout2.jpg?dl=0

Can anybody assist (or point me in the right direction) on how to do the step-by-step design. There are no fancy requirements like security except that the network users communicate with each other.

- egrizzly
B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+

Comments

• mayhem87mayhem87 Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are you just trying to see how to do your IP scheme? Or are you talking about actually getting all that to work? If its the later we would need to know what devices you have, type of WAN links, etc.
  • egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
    its the later. I don't have any devices that's why I'm seeking assistance...to find out what are the typical devices
    used for this type of setup.
  • KrekenKreken Member Posts: 284
    egrizzly wrote: »
    its the later. I don't have any devices that's why I'm seeking assistance...to find out what are the typical devices
    used for this type of setup.

The typical devices are firewalls, routers and switches... I am a bit surprised to see this type of question from CCNP as some design is a part of CCNP track.

Look at the business requirements, network services, bandwidth and application traffic, QoS, WAN links and then look at your budget. Head over to Cisco site and start reading product data sheets (including power requirements) and EoS/EoL notices if any, or you can talk to their sales and they will help you select the right products (be careful here). Depending on what services/features you want to implement, you might have to get more licenses or specific IOS images.

The network design is a long process. You can't expect us to come up with a solution based on the napkin diagram with 98% of info missing.
  • mayhem87mayhem87 Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This should probably be left to your local VAR. There is alot to think about here. What kind of WAN links will you be using? Is there internet going to all be driven out a hub or is each site going to have a local internet site? Are any of these in a remote rural area? Bandwidth requirements?

Honestly I would start looking at Bandwidth requirements and what your WAN link speeds and choice is going to be. IE MPLS, Inet, VPLS, Point to points...

From there you can start nailing down what gear to use.
  • egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ...that's kind of the point. Since you know that 98% is missing why don't you fill in the rest. Assume it's your basic design with no surprises
    or any things out of the ordinary.
    Kreken wrote: »
    The typical devices are firewalls, routers and switches... I am a bit surprised to see this type of question from CCNP as some design is a part of CCNP track.

Look at the business requirements, network services, bandwidth and application traffic, QoS, WAN links and then look at your budget. Head over to Cisco site and start reading product data sheets (including power requirements) and EoS/EoL notices if any, or you can talk to their sales and they will help you select the right products (be careful here). Depending on what services/features you want to implement, you might have to get more licenses or specific IOS images.

The network design is a long process. You can't expect us to come up with a solution based on the napkin diagram with 98% of info missing.
    egrizzly wrote: »
    ...that's kind of the point. Since you know that 98% is missing why don't you fill in the rest. Assume it's your basic design with no surprises
    or any things out of the ordinary.

Can't decide if trolling or...
    The network design is based on the business requirements. You build it to support the business. Not the other way around.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    It seems like people don't get what you are asking.
    I am trying to put together a template for a basic WAN network design

So, you are looking for a 'generic' solution starting point, rather than solving a specific problem? And you'd take that 'generic' starting point and then tweak it according to the specifics?

So, for example, you might talk about 100mbit fibre links, and MPLS cloud or DMVPN, and big chunky devices in the hub, and something like 2951s in the branches along with a handful of switches? Obviously more fleshed out, though.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
    Check out the Cisco design section - Design Zone - Cisco