Can I study/pass the CASP in less than a month?

relegatedrelegated Member Posts: 81 ■■■□□□□□□□
I asked the same question about the CISSP but since the answer was no there I figured this would be the next best thing. I need to renew my Security+ and have waited too long. I also didn't keep good track of my CEUs so I am in a bind. When I passed the Security+ 3 years ago I found it to be pretty easy so I assume I could pass it again to renew. However for $100 more I can get my CASP.

Would the Troy McMillian book and Cybrary be enough? Any other free/cheap practice tests or resources?
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I need more info. Do you have 10 years in IT? Do you have years in Info Sec? Do you have knowledge across Windows Server, Networking, Firewalls, Linux, common attack types, security administration and management?
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • wayne_wonderwayne_wonder Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd do the Sscp over the Casp if you plan on doing the Cissp
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In less that a month you can re-take enough CEU's to renew your Security+ even if you have to take all brand new CEU's since you didnt keep track of them. This would be your easier bet and cost you the least amount of money.
  • Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    relegated wrote: »
    I asked the same question about the CISSP but since the answer was no there I figured this would be the next best thing. I need to renew my Security+ and have waited too long. I also didn't keep good track of my CEUs so I am in a bind. When I passed the Security+ 3 years ago I found it to be pretty easy so I assume I could pass it again to renew. However for $100 more I can get my CASP.

Would the Troy McMillian book and Cybrary be enough? Any other free/cheap practice tests or resources?

IF you can pick up topics quickly and have good memory its possible...i would say 2-3 months of hard studying is likely. i've been studying since early mid march and plan on taking my exam end of may thats studying 3-4 hours on weekdays and 8+hours on weekends
    So, let's assume that you have something close to the recommended experience. You could read both the Sybex and Pearson guides, do the practice tests a few times, and read some other decent books. If you manage to assimilate that info, then you could easily prepare in less than a month.

Let's assume that you have only a few years in IT, and mostly in one role - you probably aren't going to make it. It would be like doing CEH + Linux+ + Windows + CCNA + Security+ + learning CASP specific stuff.
  • relegatedrelegated Member Posts: 81 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have been working in IT for 12 years I have a pretty broad range of experience including security. After looking at the requirements for the CEUs on the Security+ I don't think there is a way for me to complete the 50 in a month based on what they want.

I have 3 CISSP books already, would those work to study for the SSCP if I wanted to go that or would I want to get the Gibson book?

I might grab the CASP book to see what it looks like. Seems like the CASP would be easier than SSCP? Does the SSCP help me in any way towards the CISSP?
  • Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have been working in IT for 12 years I have a pretty broad range of experience including security. After looking at the requirements for the CEUs on the Security+ I don't think there is a way for me to complete the 50 in a month based on what they want.

I have 3 CISSP books already, would those work to study for the SSCP if I wanted to go that or would I want to get the Gibson book?

I might grab the CASP book to see what it looks like. Seems like the CASP would be easier than SSCP? Does the SSCP help me in any way towards the CISSP?

i'm pretty sure SSCP would be easier to get then CASP, CASP is a stepping stone to CISSP

Not really. SSCP is different to the CISSP in that it is aimed at people in more junior positions, and is more technical.
    I might grab the CASP book to see what it looks like. Seems like the CASP would be easier than SSCP?

The impression that I have is that they are quite similar. Which one is harder probably depends more on who is taking the exam, than on the exam itself per se.
    Does the SSCP help me in any way towards the CISSP?

It helps insofar as it gets you familiar with (ISC)2, and their experience requirements and the endorsement process. There is some crossover between the exams, but it's not going to get you any extra credit or anything.
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not sure about the book but the Sybex book would be enough. Since you've passed the S+ you should have a good foundation.