Cannot pass Security+

jimmydekajimmydeka Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,

I have taken the CompTia Security+ a few times already and I think i am done with attempting this exam. However, working for the DoD requires you to be IAT Level 2, which means i would eventually have to retake it or attempt a different test under the DoD 8570. My job is not pressuring me to passing this, but i would really like to get this weight off my shoulders. Other than Comptia Security+ can someone recommend another exam that can be easy to follow?

Comments

• netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You have not given any detail to what you have done to prepare for this exam. This test does not have very deep technical requirements and is considered by most an entry level exam. Understanding the concepts of security, the remembering the many acronyms, some networking and computing knowledge should be enough. I would suggest going through this forum, looking at the course on cybrary, purchasing some practice exams and take until you have passed them over 80% and understand the topics.
  • 9emin19emin1 Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    why are you giving up? you can do it dude, just try harder. what if you move on to another exam and the same thing repeats? are you going to give up and find another exam, again?
    maybe your method of studying is wrong? are you trying to memorize the material instead of understanding the underlying concept?
    CREST CCT APP, CRT, CPSA.
    Offensive Security OSCE, OSCP, OSWP
    SANS GCIH
    https://9emin1.github.io/
  • adrenaline19adrenaline19 Member Posts: 251
    The posters before me are both correct.
    How many times have you taken it exactly? How did you improve your studying skills after each failure? What additional materials did you use after each attempt? What questions have you been missing? What mistakes have you made that you can correct in the future?

These are all legit questions.

We all have failed. Just don't give up, and try harder!
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Have you studying for this exam or are you just attempting it by what you already know? This is one of the easy one, everything else is a bit more advanced. What is your experience and years in IT Security?
  • Russ5813Russ5813 Member Posts: 123 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Of the IAT Level II certs, Sec+ is your best bet.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Buy Darrill Gibson's book and online resources. Worth it. If you don't pass that test, your job will have to let you go because that is the DOD's requirement. The person before me didn't pass within the 6 months, so he was let go and I had to pass the test within a month of employment, Talk about stress.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • TongyTongy Member Posts: 234
    Of the 4 IAT level 2 exams Sec+ is the easiest. I did my CCNA years ago, have Sec+, have SSCP and am currently doing GSEC... Security+ is the most straight-forward, and you can do it - dear lord, I did!

Darrill Gibsons book was all I used, I bought (but didn't use) the certmaster thing from comptia which some find useful.

Nailing the boring facts like ports, encryption basics, networking etc and NOT getting thrown by labs is key.

Know the content and no matter what questions you face you'll be all over them :) Chin up, chest out....and keep going!
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Solid advice provided in the thread.

Perhaps you need to hear some motivation from the folks here, and frankly, this is why so many are here! There is a light at the end-of-this journey, so hang in there.

Set some goals (start small) and work through the objectives. You stated several times you have taken this exam, how many 2, 3, 4, etc... and how close are you to passing? Within 50 points? 100 points? Are your scores going up, staying about the same, going down? Which areas did your exam reports list as 'weak'?

A+, NET+ and Sec+ all have a lot of vocabulary and once you learn it, you know 60% or more of the exam content. The rest comes down to understanding the questions and remaining calm.

Go over the areas that show on your exam reports as needing more work. Formulate and ask your questions in the forum if you cannot find the answer yourself and maybe pick up the Sybex text or the cram books depending upon how much study you need to have. Set a goal of June 1 (or whatever fits your time) and put a couple hours a day aside to review and prepare. You'll get there.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It all depends on what type of experience you have. For me, I looked at Security+ and thought it was way too much technical detail to learn quickly. It had been a lot of years since I'd been in a technical position.

But I looked at CISM and CISSP and they focused on management decisions. That was what I'd been doing for the last several years, so they matched my experience better.

Later I went back and did the Security+ (I wanted to prove to myself that I could), but it took a lot more studying and was harder for me than CISM and CISSP.

Conventional wisdom is to get Security+ first, but that's not the right answer for everyone.

Just my 2 cents.
  • TongyTongy Member Posts: 234
    I'd be interested in your scores for the attempts that you've made.

You must persist - the success will taste all the sweeter. Giving up would prove nothing positive, the alternatives are more difficult - trust me :)
  • franziskanerfranziskaner Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed this cert around a year ago and can really recommend as others have the 'get certified get ahead - Sec+' book by Darrill Gibson. On his website he also has additional material you can buy which I didn't but I was tempted to and I seem to recall that there are some free test questions. The test labs and questions he provides in the book and site do seem a good match for the type of thing you would be asked.

Also I really do strongly advise you check out Professor Messer IT Certification Training Courses as he has a free video series on A+, Net+ and Sec+. I used his material to pass both A+ and Sec+. His videos are very thorough and cover every exam objective. It wouldn't be a bad idea to watch selected parts of the A+ and Net+ videos as they cover a lot of the overall concepts of the sec+ so would maybe help you grasp some concepts better. I found Sec+ to be a lot easier material than I expected a quite a bit was already familiar to me from the A+ security module and free videos I watched for the Net+.
  • ThomasITguyThomasITguy Banned Posts: 181
    First.... believe in yourself... YOU CAN DO IT!!!

1. Search the forums on Sec+ plenty of people have posted resources to aid in passing the test
    2. Professor Messer... I know I will say that a lot but he is the MAIN reason I passed my Sec+
    3. Buy the sybex book or a AIO guide to Sec+
    4. cbnuggets

Utilize these resources and you will pass.

icon_study.gif