Help with job search!

toasterboy1toasterboy1 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I still need to finish up my CCNA with studying for test 200-101. In the meantime I have been scoping out the job market. After getting no response from managers in my own company's IT department, I started searching elsewhere. Most of the major companies require DoD security clearances and some even list DoD 8570 IAT Level II, neither of which I have. My first thought was to finish CCNA and jump right into CCNA Security, because it is cheaper than Security+ and seemed a logical set. I am worried about the lack of material for the new exam and that it will not guarantee me a job. I already forked out for the first exam and equipment + $150 for the second exam. If I do CCNA Security there is another $250 plus equipment.

Wife thinks I should try to find a low paying part time job for a while to pad the resume. Not sure I could work a full time plus a part time job. Any other ideas or tips?

Comments

• james43026james43026 Member Posts: 303 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Honestly, in IT, you need experience on your resume, the only certification that would really help you get a position in networking, is maybe a CCNP, and definitely a CCIE, but making your way to a CCNP without any real world experience will be difficult, and the CCIE will be practically impossible. Experience trumps almost all certifications anyways, one CCNA should be enough to help your resume. But if you don't have any IT jobs on your resume, then you don't have a great chance of being hired to work in anyones networking / infosec department regardless of which CCNA you hold. You need to get a job on a helpdesk, or doing desktop support to start your career in IT. If your current employer can't provide that opportunity, then move on. In IT, you will discover that you may have to move on quite a bit in order to move up in the IT world, most people in networking / infosec departments just don't leave their positions often.
  • mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah, in the same boat. I can't even volunteer anywhere. The economy is pretty bad. Hopefully a good election will change
    things later this year. If not, hanging around here is a waste of time
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • PCExpertPCExpert Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's the age old "you can't get a job without experience, and you can't get experience without a job" syndrome. Of course there is also the 'luck' factor too.

No qualification 'guarantees' you a job, the only thing quals do is make you more noticeable or valuable to a potential employer.

If you volunteer yourself somewhere, as long as the need is there, then subject to you showing your professionalism/competence there, you should be ok. Outside of all those things, I can't see you being turned down.
  • pinkiaiiipinkiaiii Member Posts: 216
    well reality is market is pretty crap,imagine numbers that roll out with ccna everyday,id say it wouldnt be too far to say that every hour or day theres classes of 20-40+ people doing ccna exams,and many passing them,now passing part is tricky,but when theres leaks and exam practices to be bought many pass.

Now since first day in starting course i was told like ccna is holy grail jobs are there to take-and in fact its true,even now i can see listing for 100+ jobs for ccnas in my area,catch thou experience needed 3years,and on top either some server management,databases,linux or other 2-3 IT skills at minimum before someone would consider you.

so only advice i got was once you get ccna look for call center job,to put smth on your cv then try to move up to desktop support,and then you might be able to do some real networking,and actually that is true as well,but grinding for ccna to work at call center,or even desktop support to guide someone who barely knows how to use OS/windows doesnt seem like experience worth even basic PC skills and definitely not ccna type level.

So this is a bit cliche situation,where cisco associate exam grinds you now almost up to ccnp starting level-ipv6 ospf extendend,eigrp extended,some wireless and bulk of dry material,but when it comes to job market no one really wants someone just out of school course with Associate degree,since market is over-saturated and that degree is mostly theory,which means no company would bet on you to be responsible for even medium network branch let alone person would probably would get stuck faster then know where to begin setting the network or working on existing one.

Thus this gap where you gain knowledge and ccna cert,but most companies that are setup would have people with ccnps and different kinds of VOIP wireless security - thus as i see it its at least 15years advanced where ccna would been enough for many to get startup,at a given rate how technology advanced.

Thus im really in the same boat since need to find some IT job to change career,but starting to doubt now if networking was even right path -since sure enough ill have a lot of understanding how networks work whole OSI layer trickle down,but realistically,networking is becoming more of a type where someone in IT field takes course to advance further with their careers then rather get into IT.Now i might be wrong and its my opinion,but i have business background and seeing cisco major player company who eliminates most competition and spends millions to promote themselves and advance thus making exams harder every few years for same level,its a bit of marketing trick.

Of course this gloom summary isnt all true as people do land jobs and start from bottom up,but nowadays single ccna cert wont put you to stand out in any way from 100s others who have it,and most likely 2-5 extra sets of skills or real experience of years working in IT when someone else has it already.

Also there is other side off all things that in many cases your cv is looked only for couple minutes,and if your lucky to land interview its most likely with HR or someone who might know little about the job itself,thus picking candidates on questions that have little to do with your knowledge rather to see how you answer questions about company working in line and about yourself,unless one is lucky to get sitdown with actual person who is in need of ccna thus asking questions on matter and seeing can one perform basic tasks and has it in it,to advance.
    thus we have apples oranges and lemons in the middle :)
  • toasterboy1toasterboy1 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks all for the replies. Starting to feel the same way. I used to think CCNA was the thing to get you in. Starting to think now that you have to get in at the bottom right out of high school doing call center level 1 jobs then you just hang out and work on degrees or certs and after many years you might work your way up. I am still going to finish up my CCNA and probably start applying for jobs even before I finish just in case I find that one opportunity that might happen. Probably won't mean much but I have a Bachelor's in Information and Communication Technology and a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing plus my old CompTIA certs with my new CCENT.
    Did not think this update needed its own thread, but I might have found my in. Had an interview this week with the IT department for the company I work for. It is not really CCNA stuff but seems like an exciting opportunity to learn a lot and have that real world experience in IT. The job title was Application Systems Analyst and deals primarily with Nurse Responder, a hospital call system, and the supporting servers, plus a lot of cross training with other teams. The interview seemed to have gone well and my nursing experience seemed to be a huge selling point since those are the people most affected by this system. Keeping my fingers crossed. Still going to continue studying for ICND2, never know what might come in handy.
  • steele84steele84 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Actually if it's the Responder system that I'm thinking "Rauland" then there is some cool networking that is done on the back end of the system. Plus opportunity for building out a network map for the system. Good luck on the opportunity!
    “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson
    That would be the one. Looking forward to learning and doing everything I can. Thanks.
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just saw this thread (for the first time); figured i would weigh in.

Personally, i would do some "Creative Writing" on my resume (aka, Lying :]

Probably the EASIEST solution is to simply CHANGE the Job Title of your CURRENT position.
    Change it to that starting position that you are trying to Land.
    Then, add in a bunch of "blah blah" detailing some of the highlights you did in your position :]

But the Trick is:
    You have to actually KNOW what you are talking about. You Must really GRASP the concepts that you are claiming on your resume.

That way, in the interview, you SoUnD like you know what you're talking about.

my 2 cents..
  • AllwaysANewBAllwaysANewB Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Go to your local hospital and take any job you can (yes, even dishwasher). Places like hospitals like to hire from within. Usually ya gotta wait 6 months before applying for another internal job. If you lack experience in IT, after 6 months apply for any help desk or desktop. Do your time, apply your knowledge, shine, and let your bosses know you want to move forward.
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    james43026 wrote: »
    Honestly, in IT, you need experience on your resume, the only certification that would really help you get a position in networking, is maybe a CCNP, and definitely a CCIE

Even those are not a guarantee. I have lost count of how many Network Engineer positions want you to know this vendor or that vendor, or have experience in one or more other areas (Wireless, Voice, Data Center, Security) in addition to core routing and switching.

Company A -- We see you have your CCNP. That is good. We need someone who also has experience with F5 Load Balancers.
    Company B -- We see you have your CCNP. That is good. We need someone who also has experience with Juniper.
    Company C -- We see you have your CCNP. That is good. We are also looking for 3 years experience working with large Wireless networks.
    Company D -- We see you have your CCNP. That is good. We need someone who also has experience with Nexus.

It seems like most companies now want you to be a jack of all trades/vendors for a basic Network Engineer position. If you want to be a Senior Network Engineer, expect to have to know multiple vendors and technologies in addition to a CCIE level of R&S experience/knowledge. Even though most will never explicitly say they want a CCIE, the job requirements look like they are pulled directly from the CCIE exam topics.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
    Thanks for all the valuable tips and responses. The hospital comment is correct. I have seen many jobs posted as internal only. A lot of times they are restructuring or someone needs to change their point-age (number of hours worked) and the company is required to post the position even though it is designed for a single current employee.

For the good news. I got offered the position and I start in May. Here's to continued learning and a new adventure.
  • AllwaysANewBAllwaysANewB Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nice job, congrats.
  • nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever