VPN access from outside network

Robbo777Robbo777 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
If I want to VPN into my domain controller from outside and I put my address as the domain controller, I'm fine doing logging in with that address on my local network but obviously not from outside. So when I'm doing a VPN from outside, do I need to set the address as the public IP of my router and then port forward to my domain controller? I don't really want to use dynamic dns at the moment. I'm wondering how to do it with public ip's at this point.

Comments

• MariusRZRMariusRZR Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes. It depends on what type of VPN do you want to use. PPTP? Forward port 1723 to your private IP on the RRAS Server. ( I believe it's 1723, yes)
    L2TP, SSTP Require more setup. I haven't tried them yet. But PPTP works great.
  • Robbo777Robbo777 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ah right thanks, i'm using SSTP so wouldn't it just be a port 443 forward?
  • MariusRZRMariusRZR Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For SSTP, yeah. It's using the HTTPS port.
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Robbo777 wrote: »
    If I want to VPN into my domain controller from outside and I put my address as the domain controller, I'm fine doing logging in with that address on my local network but obviously not from outside. So when I'm doing a VPN from outside, do I need to set the address as the public IP of my router and then port forward to my domain controller? I don't really want to use dynamic dns at the moment. I'm wondering how to do it with public ip's at this point.

Is this for business or personal? If business, I'd recommend never making a DC directly publicly accessible. Are you talking about VPN into your network (via a separate VPN gateway) and then RDP'ing or network sharing into your DC?
  • Robbo777Robbo777 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's just for personal use thats all, i just want to be able to use SSTP to VPN into my DC server in my house. I'm not as familiar with VPN gateways, do they require additional hardware? But at the moment i just want to VPN into my DC from anywhere else and wondering if i just need to port forward from my router to my DC?

Cheers