RHCSA - Reboot machine during exam to verify our work?

Rob CRob C Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I'll be taking RHCSA exam first time, just wondering if we are allow to reboot the machine during the exam to verify that what we did was right or will survive after reboot. Since they always say the change we made for the exam should be persistent, can we reboot the machine during exam to verify our answer?

Thanks for the info.

Comments

• BodanelBodanel Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, you can reboot the machine. I would go further and say that is MANDATORY to reboot a few times during exam. When I took my exam 2 guys who finished earlier failed the exam because their machines didnt boot anymore, I suspect fstab error.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    You can reboot the exam machine whenever you like and however many times you like.

Definitely not mandatory to reboot multiple times; I only rebooted once, at the end and had no issues.

If you are confident in your abilities to enable services and ensure configuration changes persist through reboot, you shouldn't waste time doing multiple reboots. Time management for the RHCSA exam is key.
  • wolfinsheepsclothingwolfinsheepsclothing Member Posts: 155
    Depends on what you're asked to do. If you're updating the kernel, it would be a good idea to boot into the new one to ensure it's working as expected.
  • asummersasummers Member Posts: 157
    Depends on what you're asked to do. If you're updating the kernel, it would be a good idea to boot into the new one to ensure it's working as expected.

I would agree with this. Reboot every time you do something you know affects boot i.e. fstab/kernel etc. Nothing to stop you clustering your reboots and tasks together.

Just remember if this was a real task at work and they said "do this and make sure it works after a reboot" you would be very silly not to test by rebooting
  • hannismhannism Member Posts: 112
    The first time I took the exam, I failed because my environment couldn't be accessed.

For me, I rebooted and rebooted often. Your mileage may vary.
    Obtained: CompTIA Linux+ [X] CompTIA Security + [X] CCENT [X] CCNA: Routing and Switching [X] CCNA: Security [X] CCNA: Wireless [X] Linux Server Professional (LPIC-1) [X] SUSE Certified Linux Administrator [X]
    Currently studying: Red Hat Certified System Administrator > Red Hat Certified System Engineer > CISSP