For a Technical Test Analyst - What certification next?

PenguPengu Member Posts: 46 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, help me think this through please?

I am currently employed as a Test Analyst and its a career path I am keen on pursuing but I am struggling to work out what cert to go for next. I am finding myself increasingly being involved in technical testing and in particular Security stuff also a bit of networks and system monitoring.

I have done the following:

ISTQB Advanced Technical Test Analyst
ISTQB foundation
ITIL
Security+
Linux+ 101 (Did not do the 102 in time so this is now invalid after only 18months!)
Agile foundation

This is about learning and also being marketable as I will need to look for a new job in about 6 months.

I am thinking of either:

CEH (Tempted by this as it gives me a potential advantage over other testers)
Complete the Linux+ (not too keen on this as it will just be grabbing the cert rather than learning something new)
CCNA (I feel as though I need something like this for knowledge of lower down the OSI stack)

What do you guys think, any others?

Comments

• 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    CEH is good for the resume, but in terms of skillset if you actually want to take on a challenge go for the OSCP. Many have also recommended an alternative provided by elearnsecurity (ECPPT?), but I can't vouch for that personally at this point.
  • PenguPengu Member Posts: 46 ■□□□□□□□□□
    OSCP and/or CISSP would be a next step after the CEH I would have thought? might be too big a jump at the moment?
  • mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Pengu wrote: »
    Hey guys, help me think this through please?

I am currently employed as a Test Analyst and its a career path I am keen on pursuing but I am struggling to work out what cert to go for next. I am finding myself increasingly being involved in technical testing and in particular Security stuff also a bit of networks and system monitoring.

I have done the following:

ISTQB Advanced Technical Test Analyst
    ISTQB foundation
    ITIL
    Security+
    Linux+ 101 (Did not do the 102 in time so this is now invalid after only 18months!)
    Agile foundation

This is about learning and also being marketable as I will need to look for a new job in about 6 months.

I am thinking of either:

CEH (Tempted by this as it gives me a potential advantage over other testers)
    Complete the Linux+ (not too keen on this as it will just be grabbing the cert rather than learning something new)
    CCNA (I feel as though I need something like this for knowledge of lower down the OSI stack)

What do you guys think, any others?

I am thinking about the ITSQB to round out my knowledge of IT QA and try to land a QA job. Would you recommend these as stable certifications in your field or could you recommend something else?
    Thanks
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Pengu wrote: »
    OSCP and/or CISSP would be a next step after the CEH I would have thought? might be too big a jump at the moment?
    Why not jump to CISSP? There are a lot of people that passed CISSP without any sec experience.
  • PenguPengu Member Posts: 46 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mzx380 wrote: »
    I am thinking about the ITSQB to round out my knowledge of IT QA and try to land a QA job. Would you recommend these as stable certifications in your field or could you recommend something else?
    Thanks

In the UK the ISTQB certifications appear to be the ones that agencies and hiring managers look for and they are based on the ISEB exams and endorsed by the BCS as well. The Advanced level exams are quite tricky though.
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    Why not jump to CISSP? There are a lot of people that passed CISSP without any sec experience.

And that speaks volumes about the credibility of the CISSP...