OSCP v. eLearnSecurity: Which is best for a beginner?

tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
I've been making plans to register for OSCP. Been doing research based on their syllabus. The threads here are great. Today, I was talking with a few colleagues who are working on OSCP, and they told me how tough it's been for them. I've also been looking at eLearnSecurity's training. Which one, OSCP or eLearnSecurity, would be better for a relative beginner? I've been working in security for several years but on the administrative/GRC side, and now I have the opportunity to grow my technical skills. I don't want to jump in over my head, especially given the cost of OSCP. Should I start with eLearnSecurity's Penetration Testing Student first and then work on OSCP after that? I really want to learn these skills so I can better serve my agency.

Comments

• 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    OSCP isn't great for absolute beginners. There's a learning curve and you'll need dedicated time to pick it up quickly.
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If I could right now, I would take advantage of the ELS 20% off discount before it expires.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks for the advice. A friend with OSCP and about 15 years of experience said the same thing. My original plan was to learn as much as I can from the OSCP syllabus on my own before even starting. I'll suggest to my boss that I take the eLearnSecurity training and certification exams (eJPT and then maybe eCPPT) before approaching OSCP. And good deal on the discount!
  • adrenaline19adrenaline19 Member Posts: 251
    do elearnsecurity if you are a beginner.
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    OSCP is definitely not gear towards beginners. Elearnsecurity on the other hand, seems to be perfect for that. To top it off, they are doing 20% off right now.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This is my current path: eJPT --> eCPPT --> OSCP. I'm planning to take the OSCP either last quarter or first quarter of next year.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Yep I'm on the same path. Finished eJPT, and currently doing eCPPT.

Having said that, I know it's possible to start with the OSCP but given my current circumstances and life priorities, I'd end up ditching OSCP...so this path works for me.

Start with eJPT and see if you like Pentesting..
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    OSCP isn't great for absolute beginners. There's a learning curve and you'll need dedicated time to pick it up quickly.
    Yep...not meant for beginners and frankly there is implied knowledge. To be honest, if you aren't going to be a pentester I would skip over OSCP for now at focus on certifications that you would be able to use. If you simply want the ethical hacking knowledge, I would probably just self study for CEH. CEH sometimes gets a bad wrap but most organizations outsource a lot of pentesting so the conceptual knowledge should be enough unless you work at one of those organizations being outsourced to.
    Thanks for all of the great advice. I talked with my boss about it, and he agrees. eJPT here I come!

Not sure what my ultimate goal is, but I do want to learn these skills. To beat the hackers, you have to think like the hackers. I'm thinking security engineer.
    Well, I would be signing up for this course today if only I could get past their payment screen. They don't seem to want my agency's money. I've emailed support.
    I just completed the PTS (eJPT) course and I can say it was an absolute blast.

Their support usually responds pretty quickly. Hopefully they will get it resolve for you.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Odd. I've never had trouble paying for a course with them.
    Odd. I've never had trouble paying for a course with them.

I have not had any trouble, but I have heard of others recently. I think they implemented some new policy to prevent fraud and it is causing problems. At least, that is what have heard.

I'm sure their support team can clear it up for you.
    I emailed them from my work email, so I'll find out tomorrow. Meanwhile, I logged in to my eLearnSecurity account from home and went through the payment process up until the end and had no problems. I'm using IE at work (policy) and Firefox at home. Since my agency is paying for it, I didn't finish the payment process. I'll have to try to get to it via Firefox at work. The purchasing guy wouldn't let me take his credit card... Anyway, once we get this cleared up, I'm in! I'm really excited about getting to take this training!
  • evopilotevopilot Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    im curious did you start the course in the end?
    Yes, we had to register on one of our networking engineers' machines. For whatever reason, he could access the payment screen when nobody else could. I started a few weeks ago. So far (only on module 3), some of it has been review (review is a good thing), but a lot of it is new for me. Took me a little time to get the lab working (They are very helpful and provide decent online support). The training is a combination of slides/video and lab. I've learned a lot about Wireshark and will be getting into Burp Suite and other tools soon. They put a lot of effort into creating this course. So far, I would recommend this course for anyone wanting to work on the operational side of security. And for the price, it's more than worth it.
  • eth0eth0 Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    eLS is for beginners, then OS for more advenced