Options

Posting Credentials in your work email Signature

Comments

• Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    If you're a consultant or work for a consulting firm, I could see putting them on your signature, because your knowledge isn't told by anything other than that, what you present to customers by presentation and in your work.

Also, if you do a lot of cross-vendor or cross-company communication where your expertise in a specific field makes a difference, yes, include it.

But I think we can all agree that outside of elite certs, the above does not apply, except for pandering to customers' need to see some shiny flair to get a contract.
  • Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used to when I had just gotten my first few certs. I don't do it anymore though.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    HovaHax - icon_lol.gif That's called experience! I never went through with it but early in my career I debated.

I've learned no one cares about your certs they care if you can deliver.
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did in my last job, simply because they were not using my talents and were shoehorning me into weak areas (I had no problems doing both). This way every single email had the subtle implication that I was being underutilized. :)

I was hired at my current job for these exact certifications/knowledge/skills, so I see no reason to.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Aside from my first IT position (JOAT), I have only worked in large financial institutions, where it is common practice to list the high level professional designations (CISSP, CISA, CISM, PMP, etc). It has gotten me noticed by management in other departments/lines of business, and has led to networking as well as interview opportunities.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    swellbowswellbow Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've seen this only a few times, but it never fails to make me cringe a little.. especially with certs like A+, or worse, long-expired vendor-specific certs. +1 for the No side, with a minor exception made for consultant-types with elite-level certs.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I don't like sigs in general, nay listing certs.

The most I'll do is
    John Doe
    555-555-1234
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My colleague has Security+ in hers and told me to add my CCNA Security. Guys on other teams have two or three certs in their sigs. I didn't care to update mine to CCNP Security because I don't think it matters much. Maybe I'll put the CISSP in there before this year is over. My boss doesn't, but with the CISO title I guess he doesn't have to lol.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just got an email with 12 certs in the signature block. It gets out of hand.

The only time I was impressed or went out of my way to think about someone's certs in their signature was when I got one with a numbered CCIE and CISSP. I also got one once with just an A+ logo in it.

I thought about putting CISSP in my signature if I were to ever get it (endoresement audit atm icon_redface.gif) but in my office, there are 4 other CISSP holders and plenty of others in the organization have it as well.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    codedwarcodedwar Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm also on the no side.

Funny story, this guy I know works basically as a building IT guy for the organization I'm in. He's basically help desk but just for like two buildings. He sent me an email asking to resolve some port security violations(that he caused unnecessarily.). and in his sig was like 10 entry level certs. Some were even just CBTs he had completed. the sig was like 10 times the size of the body of the email.

I forwarded the email to a couple co-workers. One of them threw it up on a board we have of funny tickets we get.

About a week later the guy comes over to my office to borrow some test equipment and sees his email on the board. He didn't say anything to me but he clearly stood right in front of the printed email and read it. I know longer see certs in the emails he sends. I felt kind of bad about it but it was over the top with the signature line.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    codedwar wrote: »
    I'm also on the no side.

Funny story, this guy I know works basically as a building IT guy for the organization I'm in. He's basically help desk but just for like two buildings. He sent me an email asking to resolve some port security violations(that he caused unnecessarily.). and in his sig was like 10 entry level certs. Some were even just CBTs he had completed. the sig was like 10 times the size of the body of the email.

I forwarded the email to a couple co-workers. One of them threw it up on a board we have of funny tickets we get.

About a week later the guy comes over to my office to borrow some test equipment and sees his email on the board. He didn't say anything to me but he clearly stood right in front of the printed email and read it. I know longer see certs in the emails he sends. I felt kind of bad about it but it was over the top with the signature line.

I would consider the thought that your reaction to the situation was worse than the action you criticized.
  • Options
    xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    codedwar wrote: »
    I'm also on the no side.

Pretty rude to do that IMO and that's coming from a person who can be rude at times...

It would have been better to have a word in private and say it to his face, I don't like people who chat crap behind others backs..
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would only list a high level certification such as the CCIE.
  • Options
    rsutton wrote: »
    I would consider the thought that your reaction to the situation was worse than the action you criticized.

You are 100% correct. when I saw him read it I felt like an ass. It was someone else who put the email up but I should have taken it down.
  • Options
    xnx wrote: »
    Pretty rude to do that IMO and that's coming from a person who can be rude at times...

It would have been better to have a word in private and say it to his face, I don't like people who chat crap behind others backs..

I really didn't care enough about it to mention it to him. It was definitely inappropriate and a lesson learned. I had totally forgot that someone put that email up and felt horrible when he saw it. Honestly, I don't know if he knew that it was up there as a joke. He may have thought someone threw it on the board as a reminder to do the work or something. Either way, I agree it was wrong to do. One of those foot-in-mouth moments.
  • Options
    AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From a boss' perspective, I'll tell you that many of my young techs start out getting A+ and some of them do add it to their sigs. I let each of them know that I'm proud of that accomplishment! It's a first step that often leads to others. And some folks hate being "the one" who doesn't have it, so they work to get it in their sig. There are those who don't care -- they have other priorities, and that's fine, too!

Personally, I don't have certs in my sig at work, but my certs are fairly new and I've been working for the same entity for a really long time. If I was just starting out at a new company I think I would put the certs in just to try to build some credibility with a new crowd.

It is interesting to see that it seems like the majority here don't care for certs in sigs, but at the same time the majority here seem to have certs in their sigs or on their profile banner (what's the difference?).
  • Options
    renacidorenacido Member Posts: 387 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's fine to list certs behind your name on your LinkedIn profile. That is your personal job search and self-marketing page and online resume.

When I see someone's sig block with their certs at a company where that isn't standard or mandatory, it comes across as either arrogant or insecure.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Heh, pulled this one up from the dead.

renacido wrote: »
    When I see someone's sig block with their certs at a company where that isn't standard or mandatory, it comes across as either arrogant or insecure.

Almost none of my coworkers do this, none in IT anyway. My director puts CISSP on his, I have it as well, I don't even use a signature, just not my thing. We do have a few other departments though where people list out their degrees, in the marketing or training depts. When someone works at the same level as someone who can be trained to do their job in less than a week coming off the street and they have MS, MBA, and more in their signature I almost feel bad for them.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Ooooh, this thread again. I'll chime in and say that it is useful where you work in client facing positions and certifications can add to your credibility. I'm thinking of MSPs and sales engineering. I've been on both sides of that, and I think it's useful to know that the guy building your network has CCNP or the person selling you servers has an MCSA or MCSE. Not everyone is going to know what it is, but those that do probably appreciate it.

I think it can be useful to know within an organisation what qualifications people have, but probably the email signature isn't the best place for this. For one thing, it would make some of us have very long signatures. Probably a bio page on the intranet or similar.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    Sheiko37Sheiko37 Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I work in a global company with a large number of people with no certifications, so I like it when I see someone list them in their email signature, it tells me they actually are interested and educated in the field rather than just ending up here.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't tend to because I used to work in a large team of highly certified folks. However, I do add them sometimes based on the context of my email. If it is security related, I will add in my CISSP and maybe my CCNP Security if it was also network related.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Agreed with the credibility aspect as this is huge when going into contracting work with the DoD. Being able to say you have 3 x MCSAs, 2 x RHCE, etc, etc, makes the gov feel better about your company when bidding on contracts.

As far as having certifications in your signature, I think its appropriate to put your highest level certification, especially if its job related (i.e. security manager having a CISSP in the sig). When it comes to degrees in your signature...I don't think anyone cares that you have an MBA or MIS.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think if you are a contractor/sales/consultant etc it's appropriate. I don't do it with my current job because I don't interact with outside people very much and primarily email other people in my department.
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I used to list MCSE 15 years ago when I was young. I wouldn't do it where I am now because nobody else in this department is certified beyond MCP, and I think it would come off as rude. Also, the senior guys would start being super passive-aggressive so I just avoid it all by getting my certs and NEVER TALKING ABOUT THEM.

Also, I recently got an email from a guy that has Certified Ethical Hacker in his signature line. And I don't want to ever be that guy.
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't have a problem with it ... I think it's kind of funny that people get bent out of shape about something so meaningless. If it isn't against company policy and you want to show off your achievements, why not? If you want to laugh and snicker at someone's signature because it looks "silly" to you that's fine too!

@Powerfool - that's what I do too. I think in larger organizations especially, some people want to know who the SMEs are for certain areas of IT.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Oh back in the day when I had my MCSE I put it on my signature and my hair would blow in the wind from the passive aggressiveness of coworkers.
  • Options
    RaystafarianRaystafarian Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't know why this thread went active, but the correct answer was at post #27. Only list it if it is relevant and non-trivial. If you have a CPA and you're doing taxes, include it. If you're working for the fire department, don't.
    Hit me up on LinkedIn - just mention you're from techexams.
  • Options
    daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would just see if others are using certs in their signatures at your job. At one of my positions we were encouraged to do so. My last two jobs no one is listing them out. I am actually somewhat thankful of this because my signature line is just too much and I think it hurts more than helps as other employees in my department may roll their eyes or put a virtual target on my back (If you have a lot of education you know what I'm talking about here).
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Jamm1n wrote: »
    Maybe the higher end ones CCIE, CISSP... my Chief has Security+ and A+ in his signature, which everyone in the navy is required to have, he is such a tool

I agree with this position, just post your high end certifications, no one cares if you have an A+ cert. Personally I do not currently post my certifications in my email signature, but my current certifications are pretty pathetic. If I ever obtain a CISSP, I will be add it to my email signature. I do have my certifications added to my Linked-In profile.
    Also, I recently got an email from a guy that has Certified Ethical Hacker in his signature line. And I don't want to ever be that guy.

I do, I maybe i'll add Script Kiddie to my email signature too. icon_twisted.gif
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Dude, literally spelled out. Not just CEH.

Anyway, I agree with putting high end certs in there. Which is easy for me to say because I don't have any. Lol