How to Satisfy 35 Hours of Project Management Education

mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
Looking to complete the required 35 hours of Project Management education in order to take the CAPM. Does anyone have any suggestions on a course to take in order to do this?

Also
If I am going to apply for the CAPM, should I apply to my local PMP chapter for any reason?

Thanks
Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)

Comments

• OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Your local PMI chapter can actually be a very useful way to get cheap (or free) Project Management Education. Most chapters will also run an exam preparation course which you can use as credit towards the hours. Also, once you have PMP certification or higher they run many cheap/free events for your required continuing education credits (PDUs). Plus you get discounts on books/exams/courses etc.

I think the 35 hour requirement is for PMP, and CAPM is 23 hours. You might want to check that out.

The CAPM details for education are in this document on page 7.

If you've done project management education as part of previous study, you can also count that towards the hours.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    OctalDump wrote: »
    Your local PMI chapter can actually be a very useful way to get cheap (or free) Project Management Education. Most chapters will also run an exam preparation course which you can use as credit towards the hours. Also, once you have PMP certification or higher they run many cheap/free events for your required continuing education credits (PDUs). Plus you get discounts on books/exams/courses etc.

I think the 35 hour requirement is for PMP, and CAPM is 23 hours. You might want to check that out.

The CAPM details for education are in this document on page 7.

If you've done project management education as part of previous study, you can also count that towards the hours.

Thanks Octaldump
    I ended up getting the first part of my question confused. It turns out I already meet the first option in order to qualify for this exam so I'm good. The second part of my question (Local Chapter PMI membership) I was wondering if there was benefit for membership before taking CAPM but it seems like this would be good for PMP

Any advice on that?
    Thanks as usual for your answers
    Definitely if you are looking at PMP in the near future, membership is worthwhile. You get the discounts, the meetings and presentation, and the networking opportunities, and expert advice when you run into problems. But if the certification is more about ticking a box and moving on, then likely you won't see much benefit.
    Thank you OctalDump, as usual your advice is very sound

Most of my certs I feel are a tick box pursuit but the PMI certs are where I look to concentrate my time for the remainder of my working career (hopefully)

In preparation for the pmp down the road, where would you recommend the necessary project management edicational hours should come from?
    I think the best direction for PMP training would be through a local chapter, since there will be numerous people there that have already gone through the process and people who are also active in getting their PDUs, so there are lots of options on the education side of things. The only downside is that most online courses and no "self study" will be able to count: it needs to be formalised study.

If you are really serious, then Project Management is something you can study at Master's level. It's a fairly rich field, and growing, so there's more than enough there to do a whole Master's on.
    For anyone interested, I found this course on Udemy and confirmed it with the operator that it satisfies the management training requirements for the PMP. It seems like a good deal since most other courses are over $100.

Check it out, I plan on taking it later this year.
    https://www.udemy.com/pmp-certification-complete/
    mzx380 wrote: »
    For anyone interested, I found this course on Udemy and confirmed it with the operator that it satisfies the management training requirements for the PMP. It seems like a good deal since most other courses are over $100.

Check it out, I plan on taking it later this year.
    https://www.udemy.com/pmp-certification-complete/

Good find!

Here's the course details on the PMP site, so looks legit:
    https://ccrs.pmi.org/search/Activity/220019
  • Fsmaine0020Fsmaine0020 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    New here but I can vouch for the contact hours at Udemy but under instructor Joseph Phillips. I want to say it costs 39.99.

I submitted the PMP application. Phillips gives you the info to put on the application in a training slide.

He's also published 3 or 4 books on Project Management and has one of the highest rates books on Amazon.com.

So this was my reasoning for choosing that particular instructor.

In the QA section of his course numerous people have stated they passed using his material as well.

Hope that info helps in regards to Udemy. I recommend it but if you're like me (overseas) it's difficult to go to a PMI chapter meeting so it was worth it for an online course.
  • ItsmHarunItsmHarun Member Posts: 178
    The Requirement In the Project Management Professional (PMP) Credential Handbook, it states that the candidate must Document 35 contact hours of project management education.