70-410 Frustration - Hyper-V - take it out of the MCSE track!

coralreefguycoralreefguy Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm currently studying for the MCSE: Server Infrastructure exam. I've been using Server 2012 R2 in the small/medium business market for roughly 3 years now and have had exposure to just about every server function/feature. I'm the primary systems administrator for the windows environment in my current role managing more than 200 servers.

I'm really frustrated at the amount of Hyper-V content on these exams. Personally I have used Hyper-V in the past, but usually at a small-scale (one or two hosts with a dozen or so VMs each). I find ESXI to be the dominate on-premise virtualization technology for most businesses. I've also got a lot of exposure to both AWS and Azure cloud platforms. Hyper-V just doesn't compare, in my opinion.

Microsoft should move Hyper-V from the MCSE track to a separate exam or two. Most of it I'm learning just to learn (and will likely forget after I'm done studying/labbing) for the case of these exams. Strengthening my virtualization skillset isn't necessarily a bad thing (I already hold VCP5-DCV) but I don't think it should be crammed into the existing MCSE track.

Thoughts?
System Administrator / DevOps guy

2015 passed: CCNA R/S, CCNA Sec, Project+, VCP5-DCV
2016 goals: MCSE Server 2012; continue to use/learn more Chef w/Ruby and Powershell on Azure

Comments

• TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm currently studying for the MCSE: Server Infrastructure exam. I've been using Server 2012 R2 in the small/medium business market for roughly 3 years now and have had exposure to just about every server function/feature. I'm the primary systems administrator for the windows environment in my current role managing more than 200 servers.

I'm really frustrated at the amount of Hyper-V content on these exams. Personally I have used Hyper-V in the past, but usually at a small-scale (one or two hosts with a dozen or so VMs each). I find ESXI to be the dominate on-premise virtualization technology for most businesses. I've also got a lot of exposure to both AWS and Azure cloud platforms. Hyper-V just doesn't compare, in my opinion.

Microsoft should move Hyper-V from the MCSE track to a separate exam or two. Most of it I'm learning just to learn (and will likely forget after I'm done studying/labbing) for the case of these exams. Strengthening my virtualization skillset isn't necessarily a bad thing (I already hold VCP5-DCV) but I don't think it should be crammed into the existing MCSE track.

Thoughts?

I think that it should stay. Actually I think it is there for that reason. You're doing a Microsoft exam and what they ask for Hyper-V is really beginner stuff. They do have a separate exam for Hyper-V but way more in depth than the 70-410.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I actually am enjoying learning about the Hyper-V stuff on the exams. I've seen a LOT of environments use Hyper-V in at least one capacity or another and with it being a part of the Server 2012 OS it only makes sense to include it as part of the MCSA/MCSE track. At one time it used to be VMWARE that dominated the virtualization market but Microsoft has made so many improvements to Hyper-V, especially in 2012 and even more so in 2012 R2 that people are really starting to take it seriously now as a useful virtualization technology. However, I do understand only learning certain things for the exam and only for the exam. There have been a few things that I have no interest in whatsoever but need to learn them to pass the exam. I think pretty much everyone feels like that with at least one or two things :)
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Like it or not, Microsoft exams tend to focus on new or enhanced features that will either encourage customers to upgrade or use more Microsoft products such as System Center. Put it in another way, the more you know about Windows Server while studying for the exam, the more you will use the new features and (hopefully) buy more Microsoft products in the process. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    Microsoft is pushing to take market share from VMWare... Why would they exclude training the certified admins from learning about it? As employees learn more about it, and realize the licensing would be cheaper for them they will continue to grow in its use.
  • poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hyper-V is relevant in the workplace and becoming more so. For example, I work for a rather large company that is currently moving a large portion of our infrastructure to Hyper-V due to cost savings.

Additionally, the topics covered in the MCSA track in regards to Hyper-V include some very fundamental virtualiztion concepts which translate in both the VMWare world and the Hyper-V world. Understanding one can certainly help you understand the other. Doing this Microsoft ensures that at least on a surface level, MCSAs have at least some knowledge of virtualization which is pretty much everywhere now.
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT
  • AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    poolmanjim wrote: »
    Additionally, the topics covered in the MCSA track in regards to Hyper-V include some very fundamental virtualiztion concepts which translate in both the VMWare world and the Hyper-V world. Understanding one can certainly help you understand the other. Doing this Microsoft ensures that at least on a surface level, MCSAs have at least some knowledge of virtualization which is pretty much everywhere now.

Yes, I completely agree. A lot of the fundamentals you learn while studying for Hyper-V are also able to be related to other virtualization technologies as well. Good point Poolmanjim!
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you think that the Hyper-V is bad, just wait until you get into SCVMM later on in your studies. It will be interesting to see what they do for the MCSE 2016 exams, as I'm sure SystemCenter will be in there.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    For the MCSE, they will expect more than just Hyper-V and Server 2012. They expect broad experience with the MS ecosystem. Expect questions that involve any of their current technologies.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • bohackbohack Member Posts: 114
    Sorry to say Hyper-V is not going away. I find that there are those who embrace virtualization and everyone else. I've been reading on Server 2016 and Hyper-V, Azure and app containers will be the primary focus of the upcoming MCSE for 2016.

NetworkedMinds - http://www.youtube.com/networkedminds
    MCSA / MCSE Educational Channel