Network+ Vs. CCNA?

dcarey4698dcarey4698 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
Does anybody know if either the Network+ or CCNA cert is more valuable to employers than the other?

I have taken Cisco Networking Academy courses at my local university all the way through the CCNA level and I'm about ready to take the CCNA exam. But, I feel like the CCNA is very specific (obviously) to Cisco equipment and the Network+ will be more valuable to my career because it covers networking as a whole and I can apply for a broader range of networking jobs. The CCNA would only be useful in a position that uses Cisco equipment. Does anybody agree?

Comments

• Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is a no brainer. CCNA > Net+
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Lets just say, employers won't care if you have you Network+ if you had your CCNA since the CCNA goes alot deeper on how networks work. Even if the CCNA is Cisco equipment specific, the concepts you learn translates over to different vendors.
  • dcarey4698dcarey4698 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Oh okay, great. Thanks guys. That's a relief now that I don't have to study for a whole other networking cert.
  • jws86jws86 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is it beneficial though for someone to get network+ before CCNA in regards to learning for the CCNA exam and gaining knowledge?
    Currently studying for CCNA R&S
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jws86 wrote: »
    Is it beneficial though for someone to get network+ before CCNA in regards to learning for the CCNA exam and gaining knowledge?

It won't hurt you at all getting your NET+ first before CCNA but I firmly believe it's not a requirement. Personally I think it is a waste of time / money (not to bash anybody who has it here / now).

When I was first breaking into IT and Networking specifically I was tossing around the same questions. I ended up getting my CCENT and then completed CCNA after and I never looked back. Trust me I knew NOTHING then.

Like mentioned previously... CCNA level studies teaches to the level that you have no real outside network knowledge and builds you up from there to gain the knowledge and skills required to justify the title.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    I dont think it will hurt you. I think its a waste of time and money to get network+ if you are going to CCNA.

CCNA is in demand compare to network+
  • AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CCNA is probably more valuable but Net+ is a great starting point because you'll learn fundamentals of networking before you even start the Cisco curriculum which will make it a little easier starting out. Net+ is vendor neutral and the Cisco curriculum focuses on actually configuring/programming their equipment, although much of the Cisco technologies have become almost vendor neutral over the years as well. If you're just starting out I'd recommend going with the Net+ before attempting Cisco. I went through the Cisco Networking Academy 10 years ago (never took the CCNA exam though) and then afterwards took the Net+. I guess it could be argued that my experience with Cisco helped with the Net+ but I think it would've been more beneficial to start with Net+
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I know some CCNA and Cisco training programs over the years have like to see Net+ complete so that every studying at their learning center has basic network knowledge. I did my AAS in Computer Network Systems and breezed through A+ and Net+ back in the day it did help my career to start growing.
  • jacksonrjacksonr Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Agree with the majority here.
    I am doing the Net+, then onto a CCNA.
    Reason being Thus:

I have little Networking experience so I wanted to start from the bottom. N+ is apparently a lot more basic than the CCNA so I have chosen to walk before I can run. I can then take the knowledge (and Confidence) from passing the N+ onto my next Exam.
  • Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When I was new to this I faced this decision as well. I decided to pursue CCENT rather than Network+ I was happy with the decision.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    jws86 wrote: »

You will need to learn the Net+ content at some point if you are going down the networking route. If you've never really done any networking before, then at least studying for Net+ (even if you don't do the exam) can help you get up to speed, gain confidence, to then go and tackle the CCNA or whatever else.

Possibly, if you are going the Cisco Net Acad route, then you could skip Net+ since the Net Acad does a pretty good job of covering everything in a thorough and digestible way. But if you are doing just self study, then yeah, Net+ can help.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • EdwinMobileEdwinMobile Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    From a professional standpoint, the CCNA is considered the better certification to have. The Comptia certs are entry level exams designed to screen out entry level candidates from people who shouldn't get hired. They are looked at, by many places as a baseline of knowledge.
  • Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    If you are brand new to Networking, going for the Network + first will help you when you get to CCNA, but not by much.

Network + covers maybe 1 out of the 10 things CCNA covers. Network + is a good cert to get if you have no intention on getting into networking as a career but just want to understand the basics of networking. If you have a goal of breaking into networking, i'd recommend going straight for your CCNA.
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    If your going for CCNA then you may as well do CCENT over NETWORK+.