Studying for CISSP

ukiltmybruthaukiltmybrutha Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
I hold alot of other industry standard certifications at this point of my career, but not having a CISSP is starting to take it's toll as a government contractor in the Security realm.

The work that I do is generally far removed than I'd imagine this exam would cover.

I also suffer from ADHD and find it hard to concentrate.

I can't take time off for a boot camp, but for the first time in my life I'd like to take some classes (virtual only) because I can't take time off from work.

Could you please suggest some training so that I can get this cert? I don't know if there is such a thing as a virtual boot camp that asserts/guarantees a high probability of passing etc., but I'd like to know what my options are.

Thank you for your time!

Comments

• IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If your work will pay for it ($4990), I highly recommend SANS MGT414 class with Eric Cole. They offer an On-Demand access which gives you 4 months access to videos, mp3s and course books.

https://www.sans.org/course/sans-plus-s-training-program-cissp-certification-exam

Cybrary.it is a free training site and offers a CISSP course.
  • ukiltmybruthaukiltmybrutha Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you. I'll look into it a bit further.
    I am a self employed government contractor. Looks like they don't participate with Federal Student Loans. Anyone know of a program that I could get a Federal Student Loan with?

Thanks
  • superbeastsuperbeast Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello Friend,

Your post couldn't have hit closer to home with me. I too work full time and am not able to take time off of work to focus on my self study material. I also suffer from ADHD so I know the pain that comes with that. I've gone from studying one certificate to stopping then starting study on a completely different cert. It's a pain but hopefully with a change in prescription, I can finally focus on one thing. My best bet would be start with Cybrary and go on Amazon to purchase a book or two for what cert you want to study for. Read the book from start to finish, then take the Cybrary online courses so that way they're more of a refresher. Let me know how it works out for you.
    superbeast wrote: »
    Hello Friend,

Your post couldn't have hit closer to home with me. I too work full time and am not able to take time off of work to focus on my self study material. I also suffer from ADHD so I know the pain that comes with that. I've gone from studying one certificate to stopping then starting study on a completely different cert. It's a pain but hopefully with a change in prescription, I can finally focus on one thing. My best bet would be start with Cybrary and go on Amazon to purchase a book or two for what cert you want to study for. Read the book from start to finish, then take the Cybrary online courses so that way they're more of a refresher. Let me know how it works out for you.

Very cool advice superbeast! I didn't know about Cybrary. Thanks for that. I never stopped to think about heading to Amazon. Sounded like such a cliche years ago when things were hard and everyone was able to do so.

I have Prime now, so why not! Thank you very much.
  • MarieWMarieW Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you are a government contractor, go into FedVTE. There is an online CISSP course.
    Thanks Marie. This might be a life saver!