VMWare exams

tolmietolmie Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi there, I've been tasked with learning vmware for work as its used it our dev environment, I will basically be doing admin work with it, I tend to like to try and get an exam done if doing something new, what exam should I be looking at for this. I have looked at the vmware site and dont quite see what I want, I dont want to be doing cloud or data centre, more of a general admin so what should I be looking at exam wise.

Thanks

Comments

• dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The data center track is what you want. Go for VCP6-DCV. You'll have to take training to b certified.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • tolmietolmie Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok nice one, we are using ver 5 at best here, am I better to ignore studying for that and go straight to 6, i plan to do the stanley college course at some point.

Thanks
  • UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    tolmie wrote: »
    Ok nice one, we are using ver 5 at best here, am I better to ignore studying for that and go straight to 6, i plan to do the stanley college course at some point.

Wait a few months as Stanley are changing it to a Vmware 6 course hopefully from May 2016, or drop them a line to say please add me to the class when it becomes v6.

Remember that you will have to pay for it, not your employer (but I suspect you could try to expense it).

thanks
    Iain
    Sorry to ask another question, do I need to do the stanley course to sit the foundation exam. Is the stanley course geared towards the foundation exam or the data centre exam, does the foundation exam go towards a cert or is it a cert on its own.

Thanks
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Looks like for V6, they are requiring you to do the foundation exam. The path is: do the course, do the foundation exam, do the VCP6-DCV exam.

The course won't cover everything you need to know. Some experience is recommended. There also study guides available (or soon to be).

Personally, I'd do the VCP5 exam, and then do the VCP6 exam later. You are using V5, so it will be easier. Also, the V5 track is one exam and if you upgrade to V6, you won't have to do the foundation exam. And if you have to do 2 exams anyway, you might as well get 2 VCP certifications (5 and 6).

Also, I think it looks nice on a resume, since it gives an impression of depth and length of experience.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
    Im going to do the vcp 6 route, the reason for this is that stanley will be changing to this they said they will probably only offer this course once they change to vcp6, I wont be doing the course until july-august when I have the money. Going to study what I can up until then and buy the s lowe book from amazon. How much diff is the foundation exam compared to the other exam. I cant find to much study material specifcally for foundation, just seems to be full vcp6.

Cheers
  • GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OctalDump wrote: »
    Looks like for V6, they are requiring you to do the foundation exam. The path is: do the course, do the foundation exam, do the VCP6-DCV exam.

Although I've not taken/completed my CCNA yet, I've begun looking into VMware as a possible alternative track to Microsoft, and I have a question that relates to this thread.

Do I need to achieve VCA-DCV before I take the VCP-Foundations and then VCP-DCV exams, or can I skip VCA? In other words is VCA a pre-requisite for VCP? I have limited real-world experience installing ESXi (and even less managing it) as for the most part other people always configured and managed our environments, although I've done plenty of testing in VMware Workstation (and so like what I've read that gaining VCP-DCV certification entitles me to a free copy of Workstation).

I've downloaded VMware Hypervisor (ESXi) 5.5 and 6.0 so that I can gain some (more) hands-on experience installing and configuring them, and I'll use this forum, Youtube and Google to get myself started. But by the looks of things I have to attend an official training course before I can do an exam?

• scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    GDaines wrote: »
    Do I need to achieve VCA-DCV before I take the VCP-Foundations and then VCP-DCV exams, or can I skip VCA? In other words is VCA a pre-requisite for VCP?

No, you can go straight to VCP level certs if you want. You must have a VCP to go to VCAP/VCIX level, and you just have VCIX to go to VCDX though.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • gumpwaregumpware Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    GDaines wrote: »
    Although I've not taken/completed my CCNA yet, I've begun looking into VMware as a possible alternative track to Microsoft, and I have a question that relates to this thread.

Do I need to achieve VCA-DCV before I take the VCP-Foundations and then VCP-DCV exams, or can I skip VCA? In other words is VCA a pre-requisite for VCP?

Have you met the classroom requirement for VCP-DCV? You may also want to finish CCNA before jumping into VMware. Studying for more than one vendor's exam at the same time can be a bit challenging.