Starting my MCSE journey - wish me luck

MHTECHMHTECH Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have decided to start the MCSE journey, starting with 70-410.

I have purchased new hardware to use for my server build.
I also have a second PC I use for day to day tasks.

Downloaded the evaluation copy of server 2012 r2 from Mircosoft.

Books purchased

MCSA 70-410 Cert Guide - Dan Poulton + David Camardella
Microsoft Exam Ref 70-410 - Craig Zacker

Videos
CBT Nuggets
Trainsignal

Networkedminds youtube channel - Thank you icon_smile.gif

Then of course TechNet, Microsoft sites, and here.

Also signed up on twitter to follow various people, I won't take credit for this idea though. Please see here for the links

https://benofthecloud.wordpress.com/2013/09/24/dual-mcse-certification-in-90-days/

Comments

• JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Good luck in your pursuit! I'd love to be able to nab the MCSE: Private Cloud but it's a tough slog.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck!
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • JerryLJerryL Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck on the long and arduous trek. You might want to look at Udemy.com for videos. Very good vids and a fraction of the cost of CBT. Most are $24 or just a bit more and they don't expire.
  • MHTECHMHTECH Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone
  • gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • A+ QuizzicalA+ Quizzical Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck man, keep us posted on your progress
  • GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The CBTN vids are good (or at least were a couple years ago), I think you'll get a lot out of those. I'll be using them again to brush up for my recert exam in a few months.

Best of luck.
  • cknapp78cknapp78 Member Posts: 213 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck. I'll be watching closely. I begin my journey shortly as soon as I finish Sec+ for work.
    Thanks for advice and encouragement everyone.
  • daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck. The journey is not easy. I've failed twice on the 70-411 as it is kicking my arse! Hopefully 3rd time is a pass.
  • bohackbohack Member Posts: 114
    Good luck! Please visit my Youtube channel I have the 70-410 labs and lecture notes, which accompanies the Exam Ref 70-410 Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012 R2 (MCSA) book.

NetworkedMinds - http://www.youtube.com/networkedminds
    MCSA / MCSE Educational Channel
  • cast0rcast0r Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thinking of doing Private Cloud route. Currently have MSCA: Windows 7. The company I work for has an established WINSRV team, they are however interested in going cloud and are hiring an Evangelist. Do you think its worth doing the two cloud-centric exams and the 3 pre-req later down the line ?
  • bohackbohack Member Posts: 114
    Private Cloud is where everything is going whether it's Hyper-V, VMware or Zen Server. They all break down to 3 specific building blocks that you need to understand C-Compute, N-Network and S-Storage. The private cloud only addresses the compute portion of private cloud. I could recommend two good books for Network and Storage (see below), you really need to understand all three to be proficient.

Information Storage and Management: Storing, Managing, and Protecting Digital Information in Classic, Virtualized, and Cloud Environments

CCNA Data Center - Introducing Cisco Data Center Networking Study Guide: Exam 640-911 1st Edition

Good luck,

Jon

NetworkedMinds - http://www.youtube.com/networkedminds
    MCSA / MCSE Educational Channel
  • Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't know what it is but after trying to pass 70-410 i failing 3 times it's like whatever. For some reason I can't get started once again. Like i lost my mo-jo or something. I was so much into it and studying hard all those 3 times. Now trying to figure out this again, and get something started. Guess I need to figure out my study habit.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
    Louie1277 wrote: »
    I don't know what it is but after trying to pass 70-410 i failing 3 times it's like whatever. For some reason I can't get started once again. Like i lost my mo-jo or something. I was so much into it and studying hard all those 3 times. Now trying to figure out this again, and get something started. Guess I need to figure out my study habit.

Just think of the benefits of passing the whole track, it will open doors for better job opportunities. The satisfaction knowing you never gave up and you beat it in the end. Think of those people who fail a driving test over and over again, but then boom they pass it. Just look over all the parts you failed and on attack them head on. Rinse and repeat it.

Good luck, know you can do it.
  • Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MHTECH wrote: »
    Just think of the benefits of passing the whole track, it will open doors for better job opportunities. The satisfaction knowing you never gave up and you beat it in the end. Think of those people who fail a driving test over and over again, but then boom they pass it. Just look over all the parts you failed and on attack them head on. Rinse and repeat it.

Good luck, know you can do it.

Thank you so much for this. This weekend I have family things going on but next week i plan starting the process all over. I have all my stuff ready and sign up to purlsight for for the videos. We will see how it goes.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • ignacioalfonsoignacioalfonso Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i wish you the best for you, same as you im in the process of getting an MCSA. now im studying for 70-410, using 20410D book of Microsoft and the standard labs together with it. im Thinking of getting some practice test from *********. or if anyone can suggest which one i should take.
  • jones551jones551 Member Posts: 154 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good Luck! the journey looks easy but needs time and determination...
    Just looking at candidatex thread about passing MCSA. I saw about the learn active directory management in a month of lunches, also learn powershell as well.

Found a youtube link that goes with the powershell one

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6D474E721138865A&feature=view_all